Textbook example...

I agree... however, my house contains all my preparations. If mine were destroyed, I'd have no real backup. Of course, I wouldn't have stayed in a house that was in the path of a storm. Pack up two weeks worth of everything and the valuables and head inland.

Interesting link though- I hope it wakes some people up.

Any situation could occur to eliminate your supples and even back up supplies, but the storm was forecasted far enough in advance to allow anyone to gather a few things for longer term preps. Sure they might not have been able to pack up everything, but they could have secured some storable food, shelter and water.

A few things in the trunk of the car would have done miracles.

If the situation is that so many of these folks live in the urban NYC 'burbs, then while I empathize, I don't have a lot of pity. They choose to live in an area that makes utter self reliance near impossible due to the fact that parking spots can rent for $1M a year, so many do not have cars.

Build a bug out bag and keep it in your trunk. It doesn't have to be a metric crap load of stuff. Many of these people depend on someone else to save them and that is the problem with much of this country- no self reliance and no personal responsibility.

ETA- these people live in the freaking north and live in homes without fireplaces? My wife and I have electric, gas and wood heat capabilities in the south. What are these people thinking? Maybe this will wake them up.

Last edited:
ETA- these people live in the freaking north and live in homes without fireplaces? My wife and I have electric, gas and wood heat capabilities in the south. What are these people thinking? Maybe this will wake them up.

Most of the older homes do have fireplaces, but I have a friend that owns a bunch, and he plastered them over.
The potential stupidity from a renter makes you have to do things you would not do to your own house.

Back
Top Bottom