• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Trigger control

Amorrenzin

Default rank <1250 posts
ODT Junkie!
36   1
Reaction score
  • Secure the rifle into the pocket of the shoulder firmly, but not too much muscle tension. Proper and stable cheek weld.
  • Level the rifle
  • Final adjustments with rear bag; ensure no excessive muscle tension is present
  • Middle of the first index finger pad in contact with the middle of the trigger. Don't pull the trigger one way or another.
  • Mentally ready your shot. Squeeze the trigger with a soft, even, and constant pressure. Start squeezing at the bottom of the exhale. Follow through by keeping pressure on the trigger after the shot. This means don't force the shot, and don't "try" to get a 10. Just let it happen.
  • Let the recoil take the path of least resistance. Do not resist or try to control the recoil with your muscles.

Am I missing anything here? Any other tips to not jerking the trigger? I know I still jerk the trigger a tiny bit because every time I'm applying pressure to take the shot I have an impulse to pull NOW. I usually reject the shot, but what can I do to get rid of that feeling?

you may be anticipating the recoil, which makes you jerk the trigger.

what i suggest to practice, put a dime balanced on the end of the barrel and dryfire. the dime should not fall off. use snap caps to save the firing pin. practice until the dime does not, or barely moves. it will also help you to learn to slowly pull the trigger, not jerk it. if you jerk the trigger the dime will fall.

what i suggest to practice, put a dime balanced on the end of the barrel and dryfire. the dime should not fall off. use snap caps to save the firing pin. practice until the dime does not, or barely moves. it will also help you to learn to slowly pull the trigger, not jerk it. if you jerk the trigger the dime will fall.

I dry fire pretty much every day, making sure to feel every little articulation in the trigger. The trigger feels different when I shoot it- it feels heavier to break.

Honestly I do think you're right. I may be anticipating the recoil and pulling down on the gun so the rifle doesn't jump.

This is a great idea! I'm gonna use it with the kids on our 4H club rifle team. Great way to teach good trigger control.

I dry fire pretty much every day, making sure to feel every little articulation in the trigger. The trigger feels different when I shoot it- it feels heavier to break.

Honestly I do think you're right. I may be anticipating the recoil and pulling down on the gun so the rifle doesn't jump.
Curious as to what trigger you're running?

Natural point of aim. Get set as you described, relax and close your eyes. Open them.
You should adjust your position until you open your eyes centered on the ten ring.
Of course try not to move from this position when reloading and check it again during the match.
And
Call where you think the shot hit before checking the spotting scope. Don't be too quick to check the scope at the expense of your follow through.

A suggestion try not to apply to much pressure with your cheek on the stock as that along with finger placement on the trigger will pull or push the barrel right or left as firing the gun...

just a suggestion...

"Ball and Dummy" drill. You and a buddy go to the range. He loads the rifle, or doesn't, without you seeing. Then you aim and break the shot. This way you'll never know if you've got a live one or not. It will be obvious if you're flinching. Ask your buddy to look for other mistakes.

We do this drill at Appleseeds as part of the normal learning process, and it usually helps. I can also recommend attending an Appleseed shoot for the training.

By the way, you can use snap caps for this drill if you want, but it's usually not necessary on anything but an SKS or some 22LR's. Most modern centerfires can be dry fired with no problems.

Back
Top Bottom