Value/info on 3 S&W revolvers

spraynpray

Wolf Icon Lifetime Supporter
Frontiersman
93   0
Reaction score
I'm looking for info and value on three S&W revolvers. I am substituting a x for last digit of each serial number. The first, on bottom on attached pic, is a .22. It is a 7 shot and has patent dates of 1899,1900,1901 on top of the barrel. Serial number 1928x with a star at end of serial number.
The second (middle pistol in pic) is a top break, unknown caliber (.32?), and has date of Dec 18, 1887 on top strap. Serial number 1370x.
The top pistol in the pic (I know it isn't C&R) is a model 19-4 .357 with 4" barrel. Serial number 36K404x.
I bought the 19 used many years ago and it's been in the safe ever since. Don't remember what happened to original grips.
The 2 antique Smiths I inherited and have no info at all on them.
Hope a S&W expert can help me with history and value on these revolvers. Thanks in advance for your help.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    73.1 KB · Views: 43
I will take a shot at the first, or bottom model.
I believe it to be a .22 Ladysmith 3rd model (.22 Perfected) and is the smallest of the S&W hand ejector revolvers.
It is built on the M frame, 7 shot, square butt and yours appears to be either a 3" or 3.5" barrel model. Measure from the tip of the barrel to the face of the cylinder for barrel length. The cylinder opens by pulling forward on the rod. It should have a 4 screw side plate and a trigger guard screw, with a small S&W logo.
Serial number for the .22 Ladysmith 3rd model:
13951 through 26154 were made from 1911 through 1921. You serial number, 1928X falls within these numbers.
The original grips were plain smooth walnut with gold S&W medallions. The grips on your Smith appear to be pearl. While I don't believe they are original to the gun, if they are pearl, they are very nice. I have read where S&W put pearl grips on some models, but I have no verification of that being fact.
The serial number is located on the butt, cylinder, behind the extractor star, on the face of the yoke and on the barrel bottom.

Your M19-4 appears to have been produced in 1978/1979 and the M19-4 is the last of the pinned barrel and recessed cylinder M19s.

I will leave the top break to someone else to enjoy looking up. lol

I will take a shot at the first, or bottom model.
I believe it to be a .22 Ladysmith 3rd model (.22 Perfected) and is the smallest of the S&W revolvers.
It is built on the M frame, 7 shot, square butt and yours appears to be either a 3" or 3.5" barrel model. Measure from the tip of the barrel to the face of the cylinder for barrel length. The cylinder opens by pulling forward on the rod. It should have a 4 screw side plate and a trigger guard screw, with a small S&W logo.
Serial number for the .22 Ladysmith 3rd model:
13951 through 26154 were made from 1911 through 1921. You serial number, 1928X falls within these numbers.
The original grips were plain smooth walnut with gold S&W medallions. The grips on your Smith appear to be pearl. While I don't believe they are original to the gun, if they are pearl, they are very nice. I have read where S&W put pearl grips on some models, but I have no verification of that being fact.
The serial number is located on the butt, cylinder, behind the extractor star, on the face of the yoke and on the barrel bottom.

Your M19-4 appears to have been produced in 1978/1979 and the M19-4 is the last of the pinned barrel and recessed cylinder M19s.

I will leave the top break to someone else to enjoy looking up. lol
Thanks, that's a great start. I appreciate your help.

And do NOT shoot 22 LR in the Ladysmith. It will ruin the forcing cone. Many are found ruin due to this. It will fire the 22 short or 22 Long.

Reactions: JWC
I believe the top break to be a 5 shot, top break, .32 Single action, aka Model One-and-a-Half Centerfire.
Serial numbers for this model range: 1 through 97574. Given your serial number, 1370X, it certainly fits in that range. These Smiths were made from 1878 through 1892.
There are several reasons I believe your Smith to be a .32 Single action one is the grips. Early models did not have a S&W logo, were plain checkered hard rubber birdseye style grips. The early models had these grips, serial numbers 1 through 15000 approx, and again your serial number fits in this range. Another is the pinned front site driven into the barrel rib, round butt frame, and spur trigger with no guard. I cannot see from the picture, but given the serial number, there should be a strain screw for mainspring tension on the outside. Early models, 1 though 6500 approx, had the strain screw under the grips. The hammer and the trigger should be case colored and seem to be, but I cannot see clearly in the picture.

I know very little about these Smiths, and am just passing along information primarily found in The Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson, Third Edition. There are others on this site with much more knowledge about the top break Smith revolvers.

I am not an expert, so take what I have typed with that knowledge.

I believe the top break to be a 5 shot, top break, .32 Single action, aka Model One-and-a-Half Centerfire.
Serial numbers for this model range: 1 through 97574. Given your serial number, 1370X, it certainly fits in that range. These Smiths were made from 1878 through 1892.
There are several reasons I believe your Smith to be a .32 Single action one is the grips. Early models did not have a S&W logo, were plain checkered hard rubber birdseye style grips. The early models had this grips, serial numbers 1 through 15000 approx, and again your serial number fits in this range. Another is the pinned front site driven into the barrel rib, round butt frame, and spur trigger with no guard. I cannot see from the picture, but given the serial number, there should be a strain screw for mainspring tension on the outside. Early models, 1 though 6500 approx, had the strain screw under the grips. The hammer and the trigger should be case colored and seem to be, but I cannot see clearly in the picture.

I know very little about these Smiths, and am just passing along information primarily found in The Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson, Third Edition. There are others on this site with much more knowledge about the top break Smith revolvers.

I am not an expert, so take what I have typed with that knowledge.

I am not an expert, so take what I have typed with that knowledge.[/QUOTE] Don't sell yourself short Bro.

[QUOTE="Ringleader, post: 6134885, member: 37162"[/QUOTE] Don't sell yourself short Bro.[/QUOTE]

Hey, no expert here. I can think of many members on here with much more knowledge on top break S&Ws. While I am a S&W enthusiast, I don't consider myself an expert, but I did sleep on a bed last night! lol

[QUOTE="Ringleader, post: 6134885, member: 37162"
Don't sell yourself short Bro.[/QUOTE]

Hey, no expert here. I can think of many members on here with much more knowledge on top break S&Ws. While I am a S&W enthusiast, I don't consider myself an expert, but I did sleep on a bed last night! lol[/QUOTE]

Holiday Inn :)

Back
Top Bottom