• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Walther-Umarex Nighthawk

RamRoddoc

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
62   0
Reaction score
Well I’ll be danged if I’m not snowed in my culde sac. So up for next review is an Umarex “Walther” Nighthawk. This is actually a .177 caliber (4.5mm), CO2; repeating eight shot that is very close to the dimensions of a full size Walther P99. Umarex makes it but licenses the “Walther” name.

This pistol features a magazine style CO2 cylinder that is released in same manner of a P99. The slide release works similar to the P99 but the spring loaded slide moves forward allowing access to the breech and a metal “pellet clip” that looks like a short revolver cylinder and functions similar. It has a polymer tri-rail that as a package comes with a tactical light and red dot sight. The barrel is rifled steel. The power on this thing is a claimed 400 FPS. It comes supplied with a decent form fitted hard case.
Here is a link to specifications: http://www.umarexusa.com/product/Walther-NightHawk,26,46.htm
and retail sales: http://www.airgundepot.com/walther-nighthawk-air-pistol.html also http://www.airgunwarehouseinc.com/py-467.html You can also check Gunbroker as they have them there for sale too.

To date I have fired over 4,000 pellets through this pistol. It has never been cleaned and is still more accurate than I can shoot from 25 feet with a sandbag rest. I buy pellets and CO2 from Wal-Mart and the cost is very cheap compared to other ammo. I shoot it in my basement with a king sized mattress as a pellet back stop. I have even taken a couple of squirrels with it in my back yard within my 15 yard kill zone with this pistol.

I find this air pistol has some merit in firearms training. You have to manage trigger control and sight picture. You can perform magazine drops and reloads but I would recommend a soft surface (exercise mats or you can modify the magazine with a cushion bumper). So what makes it a good CO2 pistol?

THE GOOD:

Safe to fire indoors with only a mattress for a back stop
Ammo is cheap and plentiful-1 CO2 cylinder is good for 75+ shots
Decent power for a CO2 pistol will kill small varmints at shorter distances
8 shot repeater as fast as you can pull the trigger
Supplied red dot works great and also has a pressure activated tactical light
The seals last (I don’t leave a fully charged CO2 cylinder but have left numerous ½ charged ones for weeks or months)
It has a magazine that houses the CO2 cylinder-spares are relatively cheap if seals go South
Can assist and improve with center fire pistol drill training
Very accurate
1 year warranty

THE BAD:

Will put an eye out-this is not a toy!
Power is on the marginal side and quickly drops off-max power is realized within the first few shots on a fresh CO2 cylinder
CO2 power drops more rapidly the faster you shoot it-it does come back some when the cylinder warms up
At about $170 or more, it is fairly costly compared to other air guns
The trigger pull is a two stage with a hideous pull weight-my wife can’t pull the trigger nor can my 9 y/o
The trigger is non-adjustable and does not appear to be easily opened up to reduce pull weight
Exposure to lead more easily facilitated with handling soft lead pellets
The supplied tactical light has a slightly cheesy beam spread

i51.tinypic.com_2mo6ool.jpg

i53.tinypic.com_5pg7c0.jpg

i54.tinypic.com_263ardl.jpg

i51.tinypic.com_1zvyk92.jpg

25 feet measured from a rest, 8 shots into the "evil fanged pig", a bottle cap for reference and I pulled one or two right (terrible pull weight)
i53.tinypic.com_2jfxb43.jpg

Critter Gitter!
i52.tinypic.com_169i6vb.jpg
So for a evening plinking inside your own home, one of these well made CO2 pistols may make you a better shooter and be fun too!:nod: Stay warm everyone.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom