Weightlifting

Just getting into it...bought a nice bench and set of Olympic weights from some ODT'ers recently and looking for a way to trim down some fat, get stronger and put on some definition. Been researching a lot of different approaches but haven't found anything that stands out yet. I've been on some various supplements for a few months and I'm integrating some cardios weekly.

I'll shut up now cause I'm a hippie. :)

Not really into just "weight lifting" but more of a bodybuilding platform. I generally follow one of three different workout splits to make sure I'm getting enough variety. I have a saying and its "never do the same workout twice". That way you can train differently every workout. Anyway, here ya go...

Week 1:

Monday-Push/Pull (compound movements, large muscle groups-Chest and Back)
Tuesday-Push/Pull (more iso movements, smaller "secondary" muscles-Shoulders, Biceps, Triceps)
Wednesday-Legs (my leg workouts are pretty simple mosty due to the fact that I carry alot of muscle mass in my legs so I don't have to train them as much as my upper, it works well for my body)
Thursday-Repeat Monday only with different workout but still same muscle groups
Fridat-Repeat Tuesday only with different workout but still same muscle groups

Week 2:

Monday-All "push" muscles (Chest, Front Delts, Triceps)
Tuesday-All "pull" muscles (Back, middle and rear delts, Biceps)
Wednesday-Legs
Thursday-Repeat Monday but with different workout
Friday-Repeat Tuesday but with different workout

Week 3: (usually by now my body is feeling well trained so I tone it down alittle)
Monday-Back
Tuesday-Chest
Wednesday-Legs
Thursday-Shoulders
Friday-Biceps and Triceps

Started 3 months ago and could barely bench 100lbs and now I can max 230lbs. Do not attempt this workout I am going to post until you are out of beginner stages. Also if you dont eat right then you waste a lot of time in the gym. Take your supplements as well. Also become a member of the forum on the website listed below and you can learn much more and you will stay away from ODT some so I can get the deals :D

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/6-weeks-to-sick-arms.html

Just getting into it...bought a nice bench and set of Olympic weights from some ODT'ers recently and looking for a way to trim down some fat, get stronger and put on some definition. Been researching a lot of different approaches but haven't found anything that stands out yet. I've been on some various supplements for a few months and I'm integrating some cardios weekly.

I'll shut up now cause I'm a hippie. :)
I'd say keep it simple, at least to start. 3-4 days a week, compound movements primarily and don't waste too much money on supplements! I've tried several different things over the years and most are junk, just eat decent. Stay in a 8-12 rep range for a while, that will build muscle and use a little extra energy too. Less than that and you are getting into "power" which doesn't burn alot of fat, more than that and your getting more toward an "endurance" and cutting workout which doesn't get you alot of strength.

Not really into just "weight lifting" but more of a bodybuilding platform. I generally follow one of three different workout splits to make sure I'm getting enough variety. I have a saying and its "never do the same workout twice". That way you can train differently every workout. Anyway, here ya go...

Week 1:

Monday-Push/Pull (compound movements, large muscle groups-Chest and Back)
Tuesday-Push/Pull (more iso movements, smaller "secondary" muscles-Shoulders, Biceps, Triceps)
Wednesday-Legs (my leg workouts are pretty simple mosty due to the fact that I carry alot of muscle mass in my legs so I don't have to train them as much as my upper, it works well for my body)
Thursday-Repeat Monday only with different workout but still same muscle groups
Fridat-Repeat Tuesday only with different workout but still same muscle groups

Week 2:

Monday-All "push" muscles (Chest, Front Delts, Triceps)
Tuesday-All "pull" muscles (Back, middle and rear delts, Biceps)
Wednesday-Legs
Thursday-Repeat Monday but with different workout
Friday-Repeat Tuesday but with different workout

Week 3: (usually by now my body is feeling well trained so I tone it down alittle)
Monday-Back
Tuesday-Chest
Wednesday-Legs
Thursday-Shoulders
Friday-Biceps and Triceps
I only put "weightlifting" as a generic term. :) I know it kinda implies Olympic style but I wanted to encompass all kinds of lifting in my post. I started training for football many years ago, then got into bodybuilding, then into powerlifting. For the most part I'm "transitioning" right now. lol Not sure which direction I want to go, doubt highly that I'd do bodybuilding again because of the time/energy investment. Still like to compete in powerlifting but having a hard time getting up the gumption for heavy squatting and deadlifting lately so might just be benching for competition, keep the rest in good shape with semi heavy reps.

Ahhhhh the good old days of pushing 8 plates up..... now it is a lot of 16oz curls ...... It is a great thing whether you go heavy or not..... as I aged my goals changed..... loved heavy when I was younger.... as I got older, lots of reps.....

Back
Top Bottom