What is on my K98?

Cook out the Cosmoline, at low temperature, in your oven. Set it to 250° F, and keep an eye on it. Word of warning, it's going to stink up your kitchen something fierce.

If the stock is laminate will it start splintering with the Brownells Triple F? Also, does the grocery store have 0000 steel wool? and what is paste wax?

Doubt you'll find it at the grocery store unless you mean wal mart. Home Depot, lowes, Wally etc. SoS pads is probably as close as the grocery store will get and that's definitely rougher than 0000

Break it down, remove the wood, and cook the metal parts, on cookie sheets, at the lowest temperature your oven will hold (200°-250° F) Cook for an hour or so, this will melt off the Cosmoline. Wipe down with paper towels once softened. Be careful, parts will be HOT. Also, your kitchen will smell like a sumo wrestler took a $h*t on a burning tire. Open the windows, turn on the fume hood, and buy the wife some NICE flowers. You're still going to be in the dog-house, but maybe not as long...

Break it down, remove the wood, and cook the metal parts, on cookie sheets, at the lowest temperature your oven will hold (200°-250° F) Cook for an hour or so, this will melt off the Cosmoline. Wipe down with paper towels once softened. Be careful, parts will be HOT. Also, your kitchen will smell like a sumo wrestler took a $h*t on a burning tire. Open the windows, turn on the fume hood, and buy the wife some NICE flowers. You're still going to be in the dog-house, but maybe not as long...
What about the stock?

What about the stock?
Mineral Spirits works well for cutting cosmoline, Brake Cleaner for the tight spots. Warm them up how ever you can I've actually heard of guys putting them over a fire or grill to help soften the cosmoline. The Oven thing is Ok if your Not Married, and don't mind funky tasting food for a while. Be Light on the Steel Wool.

From one of the Other sites:
Getting out the cosmolene. Heat is the best bet. Suspend the stock over a slow fire, use a hair blow dryer (slow) or use a heat gun (but, take care, they can scorch the wood). One tried and true method is to put the wood parts with some floor dry or plain ground clay kitty litter (NOT the 'clumping kind) into a black plastic trash bag, put that bag into a nice warm sunny spot and let ol' Sol do the work for you. Myself, I live in Texas and I can just hang a stock on the side of the barn in the sun. You can also put the bag in front of a sunny patio door. Your car's dash or rear deck window will really cook it out! Just shake the bag up a couple or three times a day, leaving it for a week to 10 days depending how warm it is and then pull it out.
Then wash the stock with solvent. Mineral spirits is the most popular but I recommend lacquer thinner. It won't stain your wood.

Last edited:
So, I have cleaned a ton of cosmo. I usually let stocks and barrels sweat the hot GA SUMMER SUN. OR put in a Smoking hot car in trash bags, Obviously its winter and that wont work. I would 000 steel wool the reviever and Barrel and wait on the stock. GO ahead and oil and shoot.

Back
Top Bottom