A/C question on my truck.

joewilly

Default rank <4500 posts
ODT Junkie!
261   0
Reaction score
I've been nursing the a/c on my 1996, GMC, Sierra 1500 for the last seven years. I had been adding Freon every year, and now the Freon leaks out within a day. It's got the 4.3 liter, 6 cylinder engine in it. Just wondering if anyone can recommend a good mechanic to replace the entire system. Also, any ideas on what it is going to cost me? I know its pretty expensive, so I want to get it done right the first time, and hopefully it will come with some sort of warranty. I'm in Walnut Grove, and would like to stay fairly close to home.

Put some uv dye in the system. The leak will be readily detected. The leak obviously needs to be fixed. They may recommend replacing the expansion valve and the accumulator.

Buy those on eBay after you know where it is leaking. I would bet it’s the compressor. New one is cheaper on eBay.

The only mechanic I know is in Birmingham AL

Cheapest and easiest thing to do first, use an air compressor to put 100 to 125 psi in the system. Then use a spray bottle with a couple drops of soap. Spray all the connectors and watch for bubbles. Total cost to do this is practically zero dollars. Could be as simple as the valve where ya add freon is leaking (which they are known to do on GM vehicles)

This is what my local shop does. And it's been the little valve 3 out of 3 times I've had different ones checked. And the valve is less than $7.

https://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-15-5...8&qid=1533901356&sr=8-2&keywords=GM+a/c+valve

Back
Top Bottom