And I'm Back To Glock!

You get better control with the serrated trigger. If you get a hot spot (I was going to say boo-boo), keep working on it so you earn a callous.
I didn't read through, but has anyone suggested a higher stouter grip and a firmer trigger reset?

Have to disagree w/ the "better control w/ serrated trigger" statement.
That has not been the case w/ in my experience.

You are trying to improve the trigger when you have a ppq that is great out of the box. I've shot the new hk and it may be a little better. Like I said better options. You buy a glock and try to make the trigger better I buy one of the two above and go shoot it. The HK's are shipping now so I hope to have mine in a week or so. I'm not saying they are bad guns just not the top dog anymore IMHO.

If we are discussing pistols for self-defense & general all around use I can't say that I agree w/ the "better options than a Glock" statement here. That is a purely subjective statement that differs depending on the individual.

When we all start seeing HK's or any other brand en masse replacing Glocks in the holsters of professional Instructors who teach full-time as their primary, or even consistent part-time occupation, then I would agree with that statement.
By far the majority of the training professionals are still running Glocks... though the S&W M&P does have quite a following as well.

Professionals do (or use certain) things for a reason... because it works. When people are paying you for your time & knowledge, they don't want to see you "screwing around" with your gear.
Your gear has to work consistently (& perform well) in all kinds of conditions.
The people you're training want (& have paid) for 100% of your attention to be spent helping them & the other students in the class.

While the HK, Sig, FN platforms are all fine, generally reliable weapons, they are simply not as preferred by the majority of the training community as well as most armed citizens. As of right now the standard by which all defensive pistols are judged is the Glock platform (my opinion & every other Instructor that I know) ... eventually it will be replaced by something better.
Looks like H&K is making offering a model that is more Glock-like so maybe they will get some market penetration like FN tried/ is trying to do w/ their striker fired pistols.

I've had the good fortune to spend countless hours on the range training & teaching for the last 25 years & while there were the occasional 1911, Sig, or M&P... no brand dominated, or dominates, the market more so than the Glock platform.

Is it "perfect" for everyone? No, its not.
But it's the one that I see people go back to over & over after unsuccessfully trying to find something better overall. Many other Instructors including myself call the G-19 the "Goldilocks gun" since it is the one picked consistently by so many new unbiased shooters after trying a variety of different pistols.
Worth mentioning again is that right behind it as a close runner-up is the S&W M&P. It works for quite a few who for whatever reason don't like the Glocks.

Many shooters in my experience don't spend enough "time behind the trigger" to really get acquainted w/ any platform.
Of course sometimes a shooter will immediately realize that they hate one particular type.... due to handfit, "odd", heavy, or inconsistent trigger, difficulty manipulating or reaching controls, etc.
However even more often I notice or hear people speak disparagingly of a gun they have not even ran 100-200 rds. through.

I compare it to buying a car.
Sitting in a car in the dealers parking lot will give you an idea about the car, driving it around the block one time will tell you a bit more... but driving it over the weekend or on a long trip will give you a much better, more comprehensive impression of whether it meets your needs or not.
The same holds true for getting familiar w/ a pistol. There is no shortcut... other than getting instruction somewhere from an expert or training professional.

That can cut down the training time some but at the end of the day like most things in life, you get out of it what you put in it.
No one can pick a pistol out for you but you. Reading magazine reviews, fondling them in a gunstore, carrying them around in your holster, etc. helps... but nothing beats "time behind the trigger". Especially w/ a very experienced trainer who is NOT necessarily trying to sell you a gun but has worked w/ shooters for many years & can draw from those years of experience to help you find the right one for you... not tell you what you like.
There is usually someone like that at almost every range. I would also say that quite often they would offer their help/ suggestions either for free or for a very low cost if all that would be required of them is to spend a bit of time helping a new shooter.

Last edited:
Have to disagree w/ the "better control w/ serrated trigger" statement.
That has not been the case w/ in my experience.

I tried this on Saturday. I have smooth triggers in my 26,19 but for some reason (it is polished and very smooth)I have a serrated trigger in my 17. I thought since I shoot my 17 the best maybe I would benefit from having that trigger in my 26. I thought the serrations may grab my finger and allow me a more secure grip. After swapping them out and dry firing a lot and the only difference I noticed is my finger hurt. I swapped it back over. I took my 26 the next day to the range and ran several hundred rounds with no discomfort nor did I feel like the smooth trigger slowed me down.

If we are discussing pistols for self-defense & general all around use I can't say that I agree w/ the "better options than a Glock" statement here. That is a purely subjective statement that differs depending on the individual.

When we all start seeing HK's or any other brand en masse replacing Glocks in the holsters of professional Instructors who teach full-time as their primary, or even consistent part-time occupation, then I would agree with that statement.
By far the majority of the training professionals are still running Glocks... though the S&W M&P does have quite a following as well.

Professionals do (or use certain) things for a reason... because it works. When people are paying you for your time & knowledge, they don't want to see you "screwing around" with your gear.
The people you're training want (& have paid) for 100% of your attention to be spent helping them & the other students in the class.

While the HK, Sig, FN platforms are all fine, generally reliable weapons, they are simply not as preferred by the majority of the training community as well as most armed citizens. As of right now the standard by which all defensive pistols are judged is the Glock platform (my opinion & every other Instructor that I know) ... eventually it will be replaced by something better.
Looks like H&K is making offering a model that is more Glock-like so maybe they will get some market penetration like FN tried/ is trying to do w/ their striker fired pistols.

I've had the good fortune to spend countless hours on the range training & teaching for the last 25 years & while there were the occasional 1911, Sig, or M&P... no brand dominated, or dominates, the market more so than the Glock platform.

But it's the one that I see people go back to over & over after unsuccessfully trying to find something better overall. Many other Instructors including myself call the G-19 the "Goldilocks gun" since it is the one picked consistently by so many new unbiased shooters after trying a variety of different pistols.
Worth mentioning again is that right behind it as a close runner-up is the S&W M&P. It works for quite a few who for whatever reason don't like the Glocks.

Many shooters in my experience don't spend enough "time behind the trigger" to really get acquainted w/ any platform.
Of course sometimes a shooter will immediately realize that they hate one particular type.... due to handfit, "odd", heavy, or inconsistent trigger, difficulty manipulating or reaching controls, etc.
However even more often I notice or hear people speak disparagingly of a gun they have not even ran 100-200 rds. through.

Sitting in a car in the dealers parking lot will give you an idea about the car, driving it around the block one time will tell you a bit more... but driving it over the weekend or on a long trip will give you a much better, more comprehensive impression of whether it meets your needs or not.
The same holds true for getting familiar w/ a pistol. There is no shortcut... other than getting instruction somewhere from an expert or training professional.

That can cut down the training time some but at the end of the day like most things in life, you get out of it what you put in it.
No one can pick a pistol out for you but you. Reading magazine reviews, fondling them in a gunstore, carrying them around in your holster, etc. helps... but nothing beats "time behind the trigger". Especially w/ a very experienced trainer who is NOT necessarily trying to sell you a gun but has worked w/ shooters for many years & can draw from those years of experience to help you find the right one for you... not tell you what you like.
There is usually someone like that at almost every range. I would also say that quite often they would offer their help/ suggestions either for free or for a very low cost if all that would be required of them is to spend a bit of time helping a new shooter.

Well said, thank you!

Over 5k flawless rounds through my ppq(I've done two classes with it) I felt confident enough to get rid of the 19. I own four of them now and will most likely never own a glock again.

Last edited:
Over 5k flawless rounds through my ppq(I've done two classes with it) I felt confident enough to get rid of the 19. I own four of them now and will most likely never own a glock again.

The PPQ is a great great great pistol. Just too big for CC. They need to make a compact version. That would be the tits.

Back
Top Bottom