• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Any one here ever built a safe door?

Sounds like you are a do-it-yourself guy but no need to reinvent the wheel.

Go buy a large vault on sale at Liberty, Dick’s or Tractor Supply.

Take a grinding wheel and cut the front sides, top and bottom edge, basically leaving yourself the complete front of the vault (1-piece, fully functioning threshold, jamb, hinges and door).

When opened, the door will lift off the hinges.

Take your door frame and weld maybe 5 hardened threaded rods on each side and maybe 3 across the top and bottom (Alternately you could just drill holes and use long hardened carriage bolts) these rods will go through your concrete opening and fasten your doorframe. Make sure the placement of your threaded rods won’t interfere with the vault door’s sliding lock rods.

Using some long 3” wide strips of 3/8 thick steel, weld up a “picture frame” that’s a mirror image of the vault door’s frame (this will be for the inside of your vault-room’s door) for the threaded rods to go through acting as a 1-piece washer and thereby sandwiching your new vault door around your concrete door opening. The nuts will be exposed on the inside of your vault.

Tighten bolts, hang the vault door back on its hinge-pins and you’re done.

Quite a few safe manufacturers will just sell a safe door, might save you some work

shopping.jpeg

I used a Snap Safe brand for my gun vault. I’m sure there are better ones out there but for the price I’ve been satisfied.
336741D9-4393-4109-A70D-BFFB0A24C856.jpeg

outside of door
F8DCC06D-83C2-4A8A-B260-BE6A82D34268.jpeg

inside, door opens to the inside and can be opened from the inside even if the outside handle is locked

You can swap the Snap Safe digital out for a mechanical. $1147 Delivered and no tax- https://www.gunsafes.com/store/p/64...Z2ZQuf8WKXpLGMKlhqsx9H2ETmn-WeTIaAkMBEALw_wcB

My last house had the "hidden room", 10 x12 with 10" rebar walls and ceiling. Designed it into the house plans. Book case swung out and a Sturdy Safe vault door. That door was over 750 lbs, had a 3/8 plate door with SS lock cover and fire insulation.

https://www.sturdysafe.com/products/vault-door

Outside adding trim to the bookcase and frame. Bookcase swings out, Vault door in.

IMG_6513.JPG

cmshoot said:
If I was a burglar in a house, an “Authorized Personal Only” sign wouldn’t keep me out of a room. As a matter of fact, it would pique my curiosity and make dang sure that I go in that room.
Not with a deadbolt on there! Easier to go get the wide screen TV & jewelry
cmshoot said:
If I saw a sign on a door in a residence that said something about “Radiation Warning”, I wouldn’t believe it and would go in anyways.
https://www.safetysign.com/products/4952/caution-radiation-area-sign
Hold on there Babba Louie, you'd risk radiation sickness to satisfy
your curiosity instead of settling for the TV & trinkets? Might even
be some fried chicken in the fridge!
How's about this then. Sign on the closet door says "Nothing Inside Really".
So you bust down the door and inside only thing is another sign that says
"See I Told You Nothing In Here"

How's about this then. Sign on the closet door says "Nothing Inside Really".
So you bust down the door and inside only thing is another sign that says
"See I Told You Nothing In Here"

A deadbolt in a wooden doorframe is just a good kick away from being open. I used to break down doors for a living.

If I’m a criminal breaking into houses, my IQ ain’t the highest in the area. I’m kicking in the door with the radiation warning.

I’ve worked over a thousand burglars, and arrested many a burglar. Got a feel for how they tend to work.

I bow to your wisdom sir, obviously your experience
in this dept. far exceeds mine. Actually I was just
bumping thread to the top giving those w/first hand
safe door knowledge time to show up. Hurts my knees
and back just thinkin' about kicking down doors. Ouch.

Back
Top Bottom