Anyone here take or teach martial arts?

I trained in hurricane combat arts for years but not much lately. There’s a lot of videos on YT. It’s reality based self defense. Frank Monsalve was the founder and a 2x inductee in the martial arts hall of fame. Very close friend of mine but cancer got him 2 years ago.

if you really want to learn some real world fighting techniques then you should go to a bar with my little sawed off, loud mouth, alcoholic cousin. i promise you he'll get you into more fights then you can get out of. you can either watch him get his ass beat, join in, or take notes. i always just mostly sit and watch.
Hahaha I second that.

If you don't pick a martial art that does actual full contact sparring, you might as well do cardio kickboxing imo.

In my experience I agree and disagree. You have to do full contact, almost full power sparring sometimes. But if you do too much, you’ll end up injured too often and won’t be able to build your skills as fast. It’s a balance of testing your skills and not getting injured at the same time so you can keep training.

In my experience I agree and disagree. You have to do full contact, almost full power sparring sometimes. But if you do too much, you’ll end up injured too often and won’t be able to build your skills as fast. It’s a balance of testing your skills and not getting injured at the same time so you can keep training.
Didn't mean you had to do it everyday, just to avoid ones full of forms and katas without a sparring element.

From the perspective of a middle aged man that is fairly new to it, getting used to the sparring/rolling, gaining grabber cardio, adrenaline dumps, being comfy in very close personal contact is probably at least as beneficial in a potential fight as the gain in skills.

Didn't mean you had to do it everyday, just to avoid ones full of forms and katas without a sparring element.

From the perspective of a middle aged man that is fairly new to it, getting used to the sparring/rolling, gaining grabber cardio, adrenaline dumps, being comfy in very close personal contact is probably at least as beneficial in a potential fight as the gain in skills.

I totally agree.

I just wanted to differentiate that physical fitness alone will not cut it. And I agree you definitely need force on force training, but I prefer it with another skilled person who has some control. Not just random idiots.

As I have also trained at some schools that literally brought dudes in off the street and put me in a ring with them regularly. That’s just straight up MMA. I did gain lots of experience, it was not the right type of experience. Those untrained guys go all out every time, and it’s too easy to pick up little injuries that prevent you from training. So good controlled sparring/rolling, etc, with other skilled guys is my favorite.

As in rolling with a blue belt or above in jujitsu versus a really strong new white belt. Rolling with the blue belt or above is much better. They’re much more skilled but also have control. White belts with no control are more dangerous. Even though you can win, you can pick up injuries and not really learn much.

You need skill development. As you know from your jujitsu, to get to a blue or purple belt requires lots of time. If you go to hard and hurt each other with overly Agressive submission application because of lack of control, you won’t get there because you’ll lose too much time training.

I totally agree with you. The element of rolling in jujitsu is exceptional.

Sh$%, just learning to control your breathing while rolling hard takes time.

We agree. I just get excited about the topic. I really enjoyed my years in martial arts.

Back
Top Bottom