Back When......

How many rounds did the average copper carry for his 38? 12, maybe 18...
In the movies: (Dirty Harry was considered excentric carrying 3 speed loaders for his Model 29.)
How many rounds do cops carry for their Glocks today?
If you look at antique guns, do you ever see more than a matched set?

When given a choice, trained gunfighters still seem to prefer a single stack 1911. Average Joes not so much.
What was the old cowboy line about shooting straight was more important than shooting fast?

I think it was rule 12. You can't miss fast enough to win a gunfight.

Most guys back in the day only had one gun...Beware of the man with only one gun. He probably knows how to use it.

Not only were these intrepid pioneers good hunters and marksmen, they normally bathed once every blue moon. With all that body odor it is a wonder the game allowed them within 500 yds. So, when you douse yourself with scent blocker, look down a 4X24 scope for a 20 yd kill DO NOT think you are the Master of the Woods.

As a majority, I would say yes. Every time I see a rifle now days, it has an optic. Not a bad thing, but some become dependent on them.

I do love to shoot my 20" A2 set-up just standing. You learn so much about trigger/muzzle control that way!

As a majority, I would say yes. Every time I see a rifle now days, it has an optic. Not a bad thing, but some become dependent on them.

I do love to shoot my 20" A2 set-up just standing. You learn so much about trigger/muzzle control that way!

Spent about all day standing and shooting irons with a 16" AR and G23 today. Can't beat irons.

Not only were these intrepid pioneers good hunters and marksmen, they normally bathed once every blue moon. With all that body odor it is a wonder the game allowed them within 500 yds. So, when you douse yourself with scent blocker, look down a 4X24 scope for a 20 yd kill DO NOT think you are the Master of the Woods.

Read a study one time on how often Americans washed their clothes. Pre-industrial times (if I remember right) people wore their clothes for a week or two before washing them. The times decreased proportionally to the advancement and availability of washing machines. My mother was a product of the depression era. She wanted me to wear my jeans for two days before washing them. Then I started working for a dairy farmer...

You used to hear the old guys talking about going to the hardware store and buying a couple rounds at a time because that was all they could afford. No meat if they didn't hit what they aimed at.

Ask the old Marines how far they shot at the range with Garands and M14's.

Last edited:
Yeah I think they were. Think about it, you had to kill your food and protect your home and family. There were no walmarts or Georgia Arms to go and get a ton of ammo to practice with. You had what you had and every shot had to count.

Today's American isn't as good as the Americans of yesteryear at anything pertaining to survival and shooting. We don't have to be.
I'd rather hang out and shoot with some old stinky dude than most of the young guys I've seen at the range. I would even say I'd rather shoot and hunt with an old Jarhead than the groups I've seen blasting away lately. :D
Even one that fights fires.

Back
Top Bottom