Back When......

My Dad had a friend who could shoot quail on the rise with a 22 rifle.I asked him one day about it and he said let me see your BB gun.Had a pump Daisy,he got a bottle of aspirins from his truck and I threw one at a time into the air and he hit em with that BB gun.Missed twice.I asked him how he learned and he said I dont know I have always been able to shoot like that.I have never forgot that.

My Dad had a friend who could shoot quail on the rise with a 22 rifle.I asked him one day about it and he said let me see your BB gun.Had a pump Daisy,he got a bottle of aspirins from his truck and I threw one at a time into the air and he hit em with that BB gun.Missed twice.I asked him how he learned and he said I dont know I have always been able to shoot like that.I have never forgot that.

Was that Louis or Clark? I heard they were great with guns.
Sorry biker, I couldn't help myself

The modern nimrods are accustomed to spray and pray mentality when shooting now. Look at all the mighty hunters that carry semi auto rifles and shotguns and are worried about fast follow up shots instead of one shot, one kill. They feel disadvantaged carrying any less than 5-10 shot magazines. Back in the day, single shot rifles and shotguns were the norm and quick follow up shots meant you were a bad shot to start with. I grew up in an era where my Dad would go to the local store and buy ammo to hunt with and only buy a few rounds because he didn't intend to miss. He would go hunting deer or bear with 4-6 rounds of ammo. The only exception was rimfire, we bought that by the box for small game hunting.

I guess my point is that shooters from the old days made the first shot count and a follow up shot was not a priority for most of them. The more modern shooters depend on volume of shots instead of making each shot count.

Today's American isn't as good as the Americans of yesteryear at anything pertaining to survival and shooting. We don't have to be.
I'd rather hang out and shoot with some old stinky dude than most of the young guys I've seen at the range. I would even say I'd rather shoot and hunt with an old Jarhead than the groups I've seen blasting away lately. :D
Even one that fights fires.

That could be possible.

Not sure that it necessarily made one a better shot but it sure as hell made one place more emphasis on the shot. I grew up with single shot shotguns, single shot .22's that would fire S,L or LR. On my first L.E. Job was issued a S&W 67 with which I scored high 90's to 100's consistently at the range during the old D.A. Revolver Police Course of Fire method (I kept a BHP in my gear bag with six additional magazines for the just in case scenario while on duty). I love my semi-autos also but have always been a better shot with the wheel gun yet found myself carrying a Colt LW Combat Commander in lieu of my 4" Python when off duty, still carry that on to this day (A 1972 model in .45acp).

Even the first ten years that I hunted deer I used a Remington 700 with iron sights only. Places I've hunted never had a shot over about 80 yards and I only lost one deer in all those years before scoping up a rifle. Hunted the next 15 years with a Thompson Contender 10" Bull in .223 with a 2x scope and never lost a deer with it. The single round of .223 placed just at the base of the ear did the trick every time.

Anyway, I still think the old school stuff caused you to spend less on ammo and dedicate more time to shot placement. With all that said, in today's world I prefer to toss my bag in the truck anytime I venture from the house which holds my AR and several mags in lieu of my Winchester 67 and a 50 round box of .22 LR's.

Back
Top Bottom