• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Barrel Tuner

Deputy Dan

Default rank <100 posts Supporter
Hunter
14   0
Reaction score
Picked up a barrel tuner from TRPrecision/se3racer here on The Outdoors Trader and I’m really happy with it. First off - well made and nice fit/finish. Overall weight about 2 oz. The circumference is marked in ten degree increments with numbers at the 40 degree marks. One full revolution moves the weight .050", there are lines on the inner drum spaced .100" apart, so 2 revs per line with four markings making it .40” in total adjustment. Threads on with enough tread left for a future suppressor or muzzle brake, I locked the tuner on with my existing thread protector. Looks good on my B14-R

Tuning was either stupid easy or I got really lucky. I tuned at an indoor range at 50 yards. Based on several items I read in various forums, I started out with the tuner screwed all the way down - and then backed it off one full revolution plus a bit to set it at "1". Basically sighted it in at 1, then took three shot groups at 1, 1.5, 2, 2.5, 3, and 3.5. Also went back and shot a couple of groups at -1 (backed it off to 9!). Absolute best group (three shots, one rather elongated hole) was at 1.5 though to be honest -1 was a close second. It didn't seem to make much sense to shoot a bunch more ammo so I locked it at 1.5 and shot a series of bullseye targets and am pretty happy with the results so far. Seemed pretty consistent when I pushed the target out to 100 yards too.

Tyler says an alternate approach (something I might try if I ever re-tune) is to start all the way forward, flush at the muzzle, on the 4th line, set on 1. Then check groups at position 1 for 8 rotations, picking the best rotations group or node; , then check + & - 3 full numbers in each direction. Pick the best whole numbers group and test all 3 quarter # marks on each side of the best number. Seems to me that would/could burn up a lot of ammo and any other time in history I might have been tempted to be that precise. In any case, Tyler told me it’s not unusual to find multiple nodes producing 1 hole groups.

I decided not to mess with mine any more for now. I've got a match coming up in a few weeks and after that I'll likely take it back and try a different brand of ammo so see if it stays consistent (roughly the same MV). May also shoot some 5-shot groups just to prove the tight ones in my original tune weren't the random ones!

Back
Top Bottom