Be careful with TSA

TheGman

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
221   0
Reaction score
A word or warning just be aware that its a big problem if you try to carry through a TSA check point any "operational gun part". Now for those of you who are saying thats obvious.....

New in bag empty P mags, any magazine, gun sight (scope excluded), trigger, hammer, sear, muzzle brake anything!

Trust me its a big issue.

Empty brass, bullet without case / powder you name it.

I am not criticizing TSA just saying zero tolerance.

It's not just the TSA,,,I was practically strip searched leaving Heathrow last year because my luggage tested positive for residue. I used to keep our luggage in the same closet as my range bags and some molecular transfer must have occurred with powder residue.

They completely unpacked our carry ons and unzipped the linings and did explosive tests...it was time consuming and we almost missed our flight home. They did reassemble and repack our bags though (better than we had them packed even) but I would not want to have to deal with that again. Don't even store your range gear anywhere near your luggage.

Captain on duty asked me if I had guns at home and I replied "I am from Georgia, what do you think?" He did not appreciate the cavalier response one bit.

I'd better just stay off airplanes and out of airports. A residue test on most of my bags would probably push the machine beyond its limits.

Oh, this is just great.

I'm flying to Seattle tomorrow and I just fertilized my lawn today...extra showers in the morning I guess.

My carry on when I go on fire assignment is my field bag, which normally carries my fusees, glorified road flare for firing operations, garenteed to trip the sensors. My ticket is always one way which seems to be a big red flag on its own. Once I show my travel orders they usually go a bit easy, but my check in bag is always gone through. Aggravating at best.

Nick T

Checking bags is the best although I hate to check any bag.
Just be sure not to have ANYTHING that might be considered a problem. They explained to me that if enough people each brought one "operational part" through security that someone could assemble a weapon inside the airport.

I was bringing a set of 40 cal dies home from Montana. Secirity in Kalispell knew what they were. Said they were ok. But he said anyone at a less rural airport would flag them and I would be delayed. They were used dies, so im sure they'd set off a resedue meter.

I'm so glad you posted this b/c I just got my 15-22 to CO from GA last week and when I fly back there next week I was going to take my extra mags and maybe a red dot on my carry on. The mags are sealed in their factory packages. I had no idea this would be an issues.
I guess I will just live with the one mag I have there or mail them to me.
Thanks for the heads up.

I am always horrified that I DON'T set off the explosives detectors. If they won't trigger on my luggage, what the heck does it take?

Back
Top Bottom