• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Discipline or too extreme??

Three per hour, eh? So one at the beginning, one after the first 30 minutes, and one after the second 30 minutes. Three water breaks for the hour. Too bad the kid had to go 15 minutes longer, at the most, without water.

Or, in the case of the two hour long practices, I'd presume three times an hour means every twenty minutes for an activity that is at LEAST two and a half times longer than this 16 year old's activity (assuming a max of 45 minutes to walk three miles).

As far as the mandated breaks/rest periods, was the dad actually keeping the kid from setting the block on the ground and using it as a stool for a minute or two every now and then?

I'm not debating on whether or not this is an effective punishment because that's way too subjective. I'm arguing that this isn't even CLOSE to abuse or anything that warrants legal action
When did I ever say anything about legal action? If I was the judge I'd tell the father "good try but try and not be such an imbecile" (NOT in front of the kid) and send him on his way.
Here's my opinion and I'll leave it at that. The father has lost complete control and this idiotic punishment is nothing more than his ineptitude to handle his kid and his frustration at not knowing how. You don't 'discipline' a kid that "watches too many youtube videos" by having him do a 3 mile march with a brick weighing a fifth of his body weight and then have him do it 2 times the next day and again the next day (who knows how many times he'd have done it had the cops not intervened). If that is the apex of your parenting skills, you left the tracks (or were never on them) long ago.
If it was me and he had been warned before, I'd have simply taken the PC access away (I'm the parent, I get to control such things), had him cancel any weekend plans, had him do enough yard work to further ruin his weekend and wash and wax his parents' vehicles to showroom condition. At the end he'd be tired, aggravated that he couldn't goof off all weekend but have something to look back on that he actually ACCOMPLISHED. I'm sure not nearly as productive as having him walk around with a brick but I'm not that inventive I guess.
When I punish my kid the goal is to change his behavior. It's not for me to vent my frustration at his expense.

This is what is wrong in this country. So many minorities suffer because of the lack of a father figure in the home thanks to Democratic policies (thanks LBJ) and we punish one who stuck around for finding a non violent punishment for his child.

Republicans got that law passed. Dixiecrats lined up in opposition.

Republicans got that law passed. Dixiecrats lined up in opposition.
Huh? What law are you thinking of?

In 1964, Congress passed the Economic Opportunity Act, establishing the Office of Economic Opportunity to run this program. Republicans voted in opposition, claiming that the measure would create an administrative nightmare, and that Democrats had not been willing to compromise with them. Thus the War on Poverty began on a sour, partisan note.

Huh? What law are you thinking of?

In 1964, Congress passed the Economic Opportunity Act, establishing the Office of Economic Opportunity to run this program. Republicans voted in opposition, claiming that the measure would create an administrative nightmare, and that Democrats had not been willing to compromise with them. Thus the War on Poverty began on a sour, partisan note.

96 dems in the house voted against the civil rights act while only 36 republicans voted against it. In the senate 21 dems voted against it while only 6 republicans voted against it.

96 dems in the house voted against the civil rights act while only 36 republicans voted against it. In the senate 21 dems voted against it while only 6 republicans voted against it.
^ fact... which is so conveniently forgotten today. When capt referenced LBJ I assumed he was talking about the 'Great Society' economic reforms that eliminated poverty. It is eliminated right?
Sorry for the tangent... back to the Drill Sgt wannabe daddy....

When did I ever say anything about legal action? If I was the judge I'd tell the father "good try but try and not be such an imbecile" (NOT in front of the kid) and send him on his way.
Here's my opinion and I'll leave it at that. The father has lost complete control and this idiotic punishment is nothing more than his ineptitude to handle his kid and his frustration at not knowing how. You don't 'discipline' a kid that "watches too many youtube videos" by having him do a 3 mile march with a brick weighing a fifth of his body weight and then have him do it 2 times the next day and again the next day (who knows how many times he'd have done it had the cops not intervened). If that is the apex of your parenting skills, you left the tracks (or were never on them) long ago.
If it was me and he had been warned before, I'd have simply taken the PC access away (I'm the parent, I get to control such things), had him cancel any weekend plans, had him do enough yard work to further ruin his weekend and wash and wax his parents' vehicles to showroom condition. At the end he'd be tired, aggravated that he couldn't goof off all weekend but have something to look back on that he actually ACCOMPLISHED. I'm sure not nearly as productive as having him walk around with a brick but I'm not that inventive I guess.
When I punish my kid the goal is to change his behavior. It's not for me to vent my frustration at his expense.

Well, we pretty much agree 100% here. I was arguing that what he did wasn't nearly as rough on the kid as some people are making it sound like.

I agree that the punishment was stupid and likely ineffective

^ fact... which is so conveniently forgotten today. When capt referenced LBJ I assumed he was talking about the 'Great Society' economic reforms that eliminated poverty. It is eliminated right?
Sorry for the tangent... back to the Drill Sgt wannabe daddy....

If fhe Capt was speaking of another Act that is my bad. Apologies.

It's a bit extreme to say that's cruelty to a minor. It's his damn bloodline if he feels that is the way he needs to raise his children so be it. Why the heck should we care.

Back
Top Bottom