• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Go to .380 ammo

calebp

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
231   0
Reaction score
what are you guys carrying in your .380s? I keep going back and forth as I have always heard ball for .380 to get the penetration but am unsure if there are any decently expanding projectiles that will still penetrate sufficiently?

I had a lengthy conversation with a member on here about that very topic.
He asked what I recommend to students.
After considerable research the round I feel has the best terminal performance is the Hornady XTP in about any commercial loading that it comes in.... American Gunner, Fiochi, Hornady.... whomever.
In testing it consistently penetrate to 12"-14" into ballistic gelatin w/ or w/o denim or other clothing in the way.
It also consistently expands to .41, .43, or so w/o reducing adequate penetration to the vitals.
It's cone shape also allows better reliability as it feeds well in a variety of guns.

While Hornady has done a great job marketing their "Critical Defense" rounds for civilian use that round reply does not penetrate very well at all.
One thing I will not give up in a defensive round is penetration.
It is absolutely critical to be able to reach & damage vital organs and the related "plumbing" in the threats body.
Also, not all threats are two-footed so that little bit of extra penetration could be important against 4 footed animals.

While those organs may not be 12" deep there is always the chance of a transverse body shot.... or hitting arms being held up in a defensive position (or while wielding a weapon).... or hitting the ribcage or other bones.
There are reasons why the FBI insists on 12" to 18" minimum performance out of their duty ammo.

While civilians aren't L.E. & don't have all of the same expected environmental or situational concerns the .380 is way on the light side so if I can get that extra penetration w/o getting the excessive overpenetration of hardball that is a good compromise.

20160315_134804-1.jpg

After considerable research the round I feel has the best terminal performance is the Hornady XTP in about any commercial loading that it comes in.... American Gunner, Fiochi, Hornady.... whomever.
In testing it consistently penetrate to 12"-14" into ballistic gelatin w/ or w/o denim or other clothing in the way.
It also consistently expands to .41, .43, or so w/o reducing adequate penetration to the vitals.
It's cone shape also allows better reliability as it feeds well in a variety of guns.

While Hornady has done a great job marketing their "Critical Defense" rounds for civilian use that round reply does not penetrate very well at all.
It is absolutely critical to be able to reach & damage vital organs and the related "plumbing" in the threats body.

While those organs may not be 12" deep there is always the chance of a transverse body shot.... or hitting arms being held up in a defensive position (or while wielding a weapon).... or hitting the ribcage or other bones.
There are reasons why the FBI insists on 12" to 18" minimum performance out of their duty ammo.

While civilians aren't L.E. & don't have all of the same expected environmental or situational concerns the .380 is way on the light side so if I can get that extra penetration w/o getting the excessive overpenetration of hardball that is a good compromise.

View attachment 709986

Thanks Monty! My only question/concern when it comes to penetration is that at 16"+ is there a concern of over travel and the projectile still having viable energy as it exits the target?

I used to carry the Buffalo Bore wadcutter design, but after Shoting the Bull .410's tests with gelatin, switched to the 90 gr. XTP. That Lehigh stuff would be my next choice, based on penetration and tissue damage. It's expensive, and that is a problem when you need to check for reliability with a funky shaped nose.

View attachment 709986

Does the lack of penetration in the critical defense round carry over in the 9,40,45 or just the .380?

Back
Top Bottom