• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Go to .380 ammo

Check out this article and look at the pictures of the Hornady 90gr xtp expansion. Not very impressive IMO. I carry the speer gold dots in all my .380's. This article is AWESOME and VERY informative. Scroll down to the charts and click on the small pics of the recovered projectiles to see how they did. The XTP's didnt do to bad but a couple didnt hardly expand at all. No thank you. I'll stick with the Gold Dots or the Hornady FTX Bullets which got deeper penetration.

http://www.luckygunner.com/labs/self-defense-ammo-ballistic-tests/

I had a lengthy conversation with a member on here about that very topic.
He asked what I recommend to students.
After considerable research the round I feel has the best terminal performance is the Hornady XTP in about any commercial loading that it comes in.... American Gunner, Fiochi, Hornady.... whomever.
In testing it consistently penetrate to 12"-14" into ballistic gelatin w/ or w/o denim or other clothing in the way.
It also consistently expands to .41, .43, or so w/o reducing adequate penetration to the vitals.
It's cone shape also allows better reliability as it feeds well in a variety of guns.

While Hornady has done a great job marketing their "Critical Defense" rounds for civilian use that round reply does not penetrate very well at all.
One thing I will not give up in a defensive round is penetration.
It is absolutely critical to be able to reach & damage vital organs and the related "plumbing" in the threats body.
Also, not all threats are two-footed so that little bit of extra penetration could be important against 4 footed animals.

While those organs may not be 12" deep there is always the chance of a transverse body shot.... or hitting arms being held up in a defensive position (or while wielding a weapon).... or hitting the ribcage or other bones.
There are reasons why the FBI insists on 12" to 18" minimum performance out of their duty ammo.

While civilians aren't L.E. & don't have all of the same expected environmental or situational concerns the .380 is way on the light side so if I can get that extra penetration w/o getting the excessive overpenetration of hardball that is a good compromise.

View attachment 709986

The only thing I didn't like about that load is the setback when you load the gun. I tend to only shoot a minimum defensive ammo at the range and the rest is just fmj. The problem comes when I unload my pistol to reload and practice. This load tends to exhibit setback easier than others I've tried.

Check out this article and look at the pictures of the Hornady 90gr xtp expansion. Not very impressive IMO. I carry the speer gold dots in all my .380's. This article is AWESOME and VERY informative. Scroll down to the charts and click on the small pics of the recovered projectiles to see how they did. The XTP's didnt do to bad but a couple didnt hardly expand at all. No thank you. I'll stick with the Gold Dots or the Hornady FTX Bullets which got deeper penetration.

http://www.luckyg
unner.com/labs/self-defense-ammo-ballistic-tests/

Actually even in their tests the XTP penetrated more than the Gold Dot (my 2nd choice) or Crit. Defen. which as I mentioned is my 1st priority on such a small, weak round.
On youtube both "tnoutdoors09" & "shootingthebull410" found reasonable, consistent (for a .380) expansion & exceptional penetration.
I like the Gold Dots too but I will gI've up a few thousandths or hu dredths of an inch in expansion to gain another 2" to 4" of penetration as long as it doesn't overpenetrate.

The only thing I didn't like about that load is the setback when you load the gun. I tend to only shoot a minimum defensive ammo at the range and the rest is just fmj. The problem comes when I unload my pistol to reload and practice. This load tends to exhibit setback easier than others I've tried.

Interesting how some loads are more susceptible to the than others.
That's something to watch carefully in all calibers.

Back when I was doing classes almost daily a few years ago is what made me get a dedicated class "teaching" gun to take at least some wear & tear off both my carry gun & ammo.... particularly that 1st round as you alluded to.

Actually even in their tests the XTP penetrated more than the Gold Dot (my 2nd choice) or Crit. Defen. which as I mentioned is my 1st priority on such a small, weak round.
On youtube both "tnoutdoors09" & "shootingthebull410" found reasonable, consistent (for a .380) expansion & exceptional penetration.
I like the Gold Dots too but I will gI've up a few thousandths or hu dredths of an inch in expansion to gain another 2" to 4" of penetration as long as it doesn't overpenetrate.

Good point. I guess you can only get so much out of such a small round. Glad its my backup gun to my 10mm. If the 10mm doesnt get it done then I got bigger problems. Lol!!

Old school Federal Hydra shoks. Not the top performer in the .380 tests as we all know those are the XTP rounds but still pretty acceptable results and I can find them easily.

Got to admit I really like the Critical Defense. I know that it doesn't get 'full' penetration, but what 380 except hardball even does?

The powder formulation seems dead-on for short barrels, and the poly-tip guarantees expansion no matter what the FPS is. I'll agree with Monty that a 380 is not the ideal SD load, but it's better than angry words and the Critical Defense load is one that will probably be effective every time.

I've shot some of it through an LCP into wetpack, and even through folded up old jeans it still expanded. That's just not something I saw with any other 380 hollow point load. Most clogged up and turned into FMJ.

Would I rather have a 9mm? Sure. But so far I haven't found a Critical Defense load that didn't perform as advertised yet.

Got to admit I really like the Critical Defense. I know that it doesn't get 'full' penetration, but what 380 except hardball even does?

The powder formulation seems dead-on for short barrels, and the poly-tip guarantees expansion no matter what the FPS is. I'll agree with Monty that a 380 is not the ideal SD load, but it's better than angry words and the Critical Defense load is one that will probably be effective every time.

I've shot some of it through an LCP into wetpack, and even through folded up old jeans it still expanded. That's just not something I saw with any other 380 hollow point load. Most clogged up and turned into FMJ.

Would I rather have a 9mm? Sure. But so far I haven't found a Critical Defense load that didn't perform as advertised yet.

Surprisingly the XTP has the same penetration as 9mm Speer Gold Dots & Federal HST's... two of my favorite 9mm loads.
About 12 1/2" to 14" consistently. Much better than the .380 Crit. Defen. which is a bit shallow in the same testing media.

Back
Top Bottom