• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Go to .380 ammo

I never carry FMJ self defense loads in any caliber myself.
in the 380, especially short barrel weapons (3 inch or so) I generally carry hand loaded Hornady XTP, they also make a pretty good factory load being available in several powers depending on who is loading them.
but I also have speer gold dot, COP all copper hollow point , both hand loads as well.
I really like in the longer barreled (like 3.5 -4 inch) the Remington Golden sabres in 102 grain.
the golden sabres in the smaller , lighter micro 380 have a lot of recoil and muzzle jump however.
My Sig 238 handles the Hornady XTP and gold dot, COP, very well and second/third shots are very fast.
of course 120% function of the ammo in the particular gun should be the first priority.

Surprisingly the XTP has the same penetration as 9mm Speer Gold Dots & Federal HST's... two of my favorite 9mm loads.
About 12 1/2" to 14" consistently. Much better than the .380 Crit. Defen. which is a bit shallow in the same testing media.

I'd heard (and seen) that the Crit Defense tends to be lighter loads. How does the XTP do with things like denim and such? No clogging? That's one thing I really like about all the poly-tipped I've tried is the guaranteed consistent expansion.

Not with 380, but I have had some 'traditional' HPs clog up and act like hardball through wet-pack when I was shooting through heavy cloth. Only a time or two but it convinced me to stick with a round that won't do it under any circumstances.

I'd heard (and seen) that the Crit Defense tends to be lighter loads. How does the XTP do with things like denim and such? No clogging? That's one thing I really like about all the poly-tipped I've tried is the guaranteed consistent expansion.

Not with 380, but I have had some 'traditional' HPs clog up and act like hardball through wet-pack when I was shooting through heavy cloth. Only a time or two but it convinced me to stick with a round that won't do it under any circumstances.

In all of the tests that I've seen w/ denim it performed well.

Back
Top Bottom