• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Gun Cleaning

I just can't seem to relax after I go to the range knowing my gun is dirty. I guess that's in excessive compulsive disorder. But I just cannot sit down and relax and start watching TV until every gun I've shot is clean. Then and only then can I sit down and actually relax. Cleaning the gun is actually therapeutic to me. I forget about everything and just concentrate on what I'm doing and it's kind of a way to disconnect. I actually enjoy cleaning them.
I feel the same way, no matter what I'm doing I keep on thinking that my guns are dirty if I don't clean them After firing.

My father insisted that even if you take a gun to the field and do not fire it that it should be wiped down before returning it to the safe. :p
You get it.
Raised the exact same way.
"That can't be 50 years old, it looks brand new."
Well.....

I used to be fanatical about cleaning after every use but the arguments for that being more harmful than beneficial rang true. I don’t detail or break down every time now. Usually a couple patches or a bore snake and a wipe down with a microfiber cloth depending on the gun. Thorough detailng usually comes after several range trips or a few hundred rounds.

Is there any good reason for not cleaning your firearm after every use?
I'll give you plenty...
it's redundant
it's time consuming
it's un needed
I fell into that trap years back...I have now, come to the point, that I do not clean my rifles until they start not grouping....when you clean a rifle, it has to "break in" again, costing many wasted rounds of ammo...NO NEED!!
that said....I do clean my shotguns each time I use them, they are not as sensitive as rifles.....pistols....who cares...there just pistols...
who can enjoy shooting, when you feel like you have to face, taking apart each gun to get at a minute particle of dirt....they work just fine a little dirty...

Back
Top Bottom