How many folks have started a garden this year?

Sigo

Default rank <2000 posts
ODT Junkie!
1   0
Reaction score
OK... I see allot of bushcraft and tacticool stuff on here. How many folks have started a garden this year? My yard is tiny and this is not my zombie bunker location, but I try to garden a few small crops so I learn the tricks of the trade. How many folks actually understand how to grow things from seed to harvest? You won't be able to run to Lowes... Have you got what it takes to feed yourself once you run out of your 75 year shelf life food?

It would suck when archaeologists open my bunker in a hundred years, kick aside the empty Wise Food containers and find my bullet proof vest/carrier wrapped carcass laying next to my crates of ammunition, fighting and throwing knives, flashlight collection and figure out that I died of starvation after running out of ready made food.

OK... I see allot of bushcraft and tacticool stuff on here. How many folks have started a garden this year? My yard is tiny and this is not my zombie bunker location, but I try to garden a few small crops so I learn the tricks of the trade. How many folks actually understand how to grow things from seed to harvest? You won't be able to run to Lowes... Have you got what it takes to feed yourself once you run out of your 75 year shelf life food?

It would suck when archaeologists open my bunker in a hundred years, kick aside the empty Wise Food containers and find my bullet proof vest/carrier wrapped carcass laying next to my crates of ammunition, fighting and throwing knives, flashlight collection and figure out that I died of starvation after running out of ready made food.

I plant a winter and summer garden each year. I've grown many plants from seed and did so for many years when I had a cold frame and a greenhouse. Now, I just buy necessary transplants from Lowes, with the remaining plants grown from seed. My garden is 24' X 16' and produces more than I need which my neighbors enjoy. I am careful with lime and fertilizer and collect soil samples for the local Extension Service to send to UGA for nutrient analyses. Compost and soil amendments are good but moderation is key. If you had to rely on seed produced from your garden, be aware that they need to be dried well before storage or they will mold and you'll have nothing for the next season.

As one of my preps, I do have rotating stores of vegetable seed should this country receive an EMP or other disabling disaster. Studying horticultural methods was a hobby for many years. Might be a good idea to invest in an edible plants book if you truly had to live off of the land. I'm no Euell Gibbons but after reviewing many, I bought Nature's Garden, A Guide to Identifying, Harvesting, and Preparing Edible Wild Plants written by Samuel Thayer. It's not a field guide but goes into more detail so you can correctly identify a plant that won't hurt or kill you. The book has lots of photos and helps to distinguish look-alikes from what should be consumed. Be aware that consuming wild plants is only a last resort.

Bout to.

My new house has a green house. Ashamedly, I don't even know how to make use of one. I'm going to plant a few things both in the green house and in the garden spot next to it and see what difference occur.

Ready for some squash, bell peppers, maybe some corn. There's six deer that come through every morning, so I got plot strategically.

A few years ago, we had about 8 rows of corn. A ground hog came through and ate on the bottom ears of every single stalk and it killed every stalk of corn. He didn't even eat much on some of them, so there must be some bacteria going on there.

He got a 77gr. OTM in the side of the head. I wouldn't call it even, but it was over.

Bout to.

My new house has a green house. Ashamedly, I don't even know how to make use of one. I'm going to plant a few things both in the green house and in the garden spot next to it and see what difference occur.

Ready for some squash, bell peppers, maybe some corn. There's six deer that come through every morning, so I got plot strategically.

A few years ago, we had about 8 rows of corn. A ground hog came through and ate on the bottom ears of every single stalk and it killed every stalk of corn. He didn't even eat much on some of them, so there must be some bacteria going on there.

He got a 77gr. OTM in the side of the head. I wouldn't call it even, but it was over.
You should pot up a bunch of seeds this weekend and start them in the green house. Leave it closed at night and vent it on sunny days like today. The way the weather has been this year I wouldn't be afraid to plant seed outside this week end. If it gets cold the seed will just sit there but if this is it for winter you will have almost two months head start.

You should pot up a bunch of seeds this weekend and start them in the green house. Leave it closed at night and vent it on sunny days like today. The way the weather has been this year I wouldn't be afraid to plant seed outside this week end. If it gets cold the seed will just sit there but if this is it for winter you will have almost two months head start.

Good point! I've got a chance of snow apparently, but I checked temp in the green house and it's a good 15-20 degrees warmer than the outside air. I guess I'll go in there in the morning and get things ready, then head over to the feed/see store for goodies.

Back
Top Bottom