36   0
Reaction score
Item Name: Bore sighting info

Zip Code: 30139

Item is for: Sale/Trade NOT SPECIFIED

Caliber: Any

Willing to Ship: No

Bill of Sale Required?: No

Item Description: How does the cartridge type bore sight compare to the traditional bore sight fitted in the end of the barrel. I am pl Nanking to purchase one or the other. Any suggestions?

DISCLAIMER: Always comply with local, state, federal, and international law. The Outdoors Trader does not become involved in transactions between parties. Review our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use for more information.
I do the same with the chamber bore sight. I have a sharpie line on the tail end of it from the center to 12:00 so i just make sure I point it to the top when inserting it, so it's repeatable in the future.

Just remove the action and look through the barrel and scope. Free and just as good.
man, I did that. went to range, after a few rounds I was wondering if my ammo had a projectile. Ended up taping four targets together and shooting at each corner until I finally found paper at 50 yards. Hind sight, I guess I could've started at 25 yards

Unless it's a rifle that there is no way you can see down the bore like a several of the lever actions then I just pull the bolt or in tha case of an AR break it open and pull the bolt carrier group look down the bore and center it up on the target, then without moving the rifle move the crosshairs to the target and you're bore sighted.

This ^^^^
man, I did that. went to range, after a few rounds I was wondering if my ammo had a projectile. Ended up taping four targets together and shooting at each corner until I finally found paper at 50 yards. Hind sight, I guess I could've started at 25 yards

I always send one or two down range at 25 yards just to make sure I am on paper after bore sighting before hitting the 50 & 100 yard ranges. Much easier to do, especially if your spotting scope isn't the greatest.

I've got several of the chamber type bore sights in 223 and 308. They work good on AR's for getting close. Just don't slam the bolt on them and treat them nice. Either one should work if you are using them correctly.

You have to be sure and look down the center of the bore and make sure the rifle doesn't move when you move the reticle onto the target. Keeping the rings of light reflecting inside the bore concentric are a good indicator you're looking straight down the center. It helps to have a cleaning cradle, some good shooting bags, or a lead sled to hold the rifle steady while making adjustments, though I have gotten by with a couple of beach towels.
The more you do it the easier it gets. I've been doing it for quite a while now and I'm most often within about 6" or less of the bullseye at 100 anymore. After the first shot center the scope up on the bull again, without moving the rifle click the the reticle to the bullet hole you just made and you should be dead on zero. Shoot a couple to confirm and you're done

You have to be sure and look down the center of the bore and make sure the rifle doesn't move when you move the reticle onto the target. Keeping the rings of light reflecting inside the bore concentric are a good indicator you're looking straight down the center. It helps to have a cleaning cradle, some good shooting bags, or a lead sled to hold the rifle steady while making adjustments, though I have gotten by with a couple of beach towels.
The more you do it the easier it gets. I've been doing it for quite a while now and I'm most often within about 6" or less of the bullseye at 100 anymore. After the first shot center the scope up on the bull again, without moving the rifle click the the reticle to the bullet hole you just made and you should be dead on zero. Shoot a couple to confirm and you're done
holy crap, 6 inches? at 100 I was well into the 'feets' off. Alas, as you allude, attention to detail is everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom