Long Rifle Survey

Why weren't tikkas in the list of rifles at these matches you guys speak of if they are so great? Yeah I know you can build a high dollar rifle that shoots lights out but with the limited distance ranges in georgia it's over kill. $4000 rifle to shoot at maybe a few ranges over a thousand yards really! Hey look at me I'm better than you cause I drive a Ferrari. Lmoa! If savages or so bad then why are there more and more people turning to them day after day. I'm not saying there the best just don't understand that hatred toward them.

I've never shot at a target more than 100 yards away. And I'm sure I missed everytime. But I owned a 40x in 243. What a waste.

Ps. And just listening in on forum chit chat I thought the savage was tough to beat for the money. But some day I plan to buy a wood Win 70 because I think they are so cool.

Last edited:
Why weren't tikkas in the list of rifles at these matches you guys speak of if they are so great? Yeah I know you can build a high dollar rifle that shoots lights out but with the limited distance ranges in georgia it's over kill. $4000 rifle to shoot at maybe a few ranges over a thousand yards really! Hey look at me I'm better than you cause I drive a Ferrari. Lmoa! If savages or so bad then why are there more and more people turning to them day after day. I'm not saying there the best just don't understand that hatred toward them.

Sakos are on the list. For most of us its not about the price of the rifle its about the the fact that when there is so much on the line we want the Best, Period. As far as limited distance look at some of the high dollar Hunting rifles out there. Would I go on a trip to Africa with a Factory Savage or Remington, Hecks no but would I take one on my weekend hunts here in GA? sure, but I would take my Bow as well. As far as your reasoning why people are turning to them I would say PRICE POINT. They offer a good product at a reasonable cost. once again not the BEST. There is no hatred toward Savage coming from me I used to tell people all the time if you want a rifle thats MOD out of the box and you don't want to do anything to it, buy a Savage. If you want a big bore engine block to make into a race car get a remington.

ETA: MOD= Minute Of Deer

Last edited:
Best at what?
Everything?
Every likely use that you might want a rifle for?
If "everything" includes homeland defense and citizen's militia type use, then give me a semi-auto that uses detachable box magazines.
If "everything" includes big-game hunting, give me a caliber like the .308, or something similar.
Among accurate semi-auto rifles in .243 / 7mm-08 or .308 caliber, I'm thinking the AR-10 type rifles are the easiest to scope, although you can get scope mounts for a Springfield M1A, an H&K 91 / G3/ CETME, and other 7.62 x 51 battle rifles.

If the question is "BEST AT BIG GAME HUNTING AT LONG RANGE" or some other sporting use for game bigger than varmints:

then I'll say a quality bolt action rifle with an excellent scope (there are several gun models and several scopes that would work fine) in some .300 magnum, probably the most famous and most popular, the .300 Win Mag. I'd want a decently thick and long barrel; I'll put up with the added weight.
Sure, it's overkill for deer and hogs.
But for animals that regularly weigh over 300 lbs, that magnum caliber would be more versatile.
If I'm going to keep my options open for moose or brown bear, I won't be comfortable with a .308 / .30-06 class.

Sakos are on the list. For most of us its not about the price of the rifle its about the the fact that when there is so much on the line we want the Best, Period. As far as limited distance look at some of the high dollar Hunting rifles out there. Would I go on a trip to Africa with a Factory Savage or Remington, Hecks no but would I take one on my weekend hunts here in GA? sure, but I would take my Bow as well. As far as your reasoning why people are turning to them I would say PRICE POINT. They offer a good product at a reasonable cost. once again not the BEST. There is no hatred toward Savage coming from me I used to tell people all the time if you want a rifle thats MOD out of the box and you don't want to do anything to it, buy a Savage. If you want a big bore engine block to make into a race car get a remington.

ETA: MOD= Minute Of Deer
I agree with you 100%. In your case I would want nothing but the best if it were for big game hunting in Africa or life/death situation, but for 1000 yard target shooting or hunting in georgia I don't see the point. Both my savage's are sub Moa rifles right out of the box with factory loaded amm. If they were Remington's there would be praises of glory for the groups they shoot. I just don't understand why it is when people speak of a savage rifle there has to be such negativity. For me if I wanted a sub Moa rifle straight from the store to the range it would be a savage heavy barrel rifle. If I were going to mod or do any thing to it I would build from scratch (not buy a Remington and tear apart) from one of said action mentioned in earlier post.

Good for whatever ails ya...

8686431471_89c54da2dc_c.jpg

Back
Top Bottom