Long Rifle Survey

Not a pic of mine, but I got one, and it can reach WWWWAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYY out there!

Savage 110FCP 338 Lapua, factory HS precision stock, MK4 6-10 Leupold illuminated reticle on top. (mine at least)

i57.tinypic.com_2cr2iid.jpg

The Ruger M77 is nice too, but for whatever reason, I do love hunting with my browning 338 ABolt.

The Savage is one serious rifle though. So I tip my hat to it.

In all honesty, my favorite rifle is my Marlin 1895 cowboy limited half octagon half round 24" barreled 45-70 that I hunt with. I use a receiver mounted peep sight and it can put down anything in the North American field you wish. But that's probably a different conversation. To me, nothing feels more American than getting out there and trekking through the woods with my lever action. Nostalgia and such!

Dtk- I didnt know that. I just googled it and read a few brief articles. I agree with your point. I still love styer rifles but that was a very d#$@head sale.

Dtk- I didnt know that. I just googled it and read a few brief articles. I agree with your point. I still love styer rifles but that was a very d#$@head sale.

No matter what kind of a-holes they are, their rifles will always be at the top of any list. There was a time when, if you sent a Styer rifle back claiming that it wouldn't shoot, I would be the person that it would come to and off to River Bend we'd go.

Yes, I love the rifles.....I just can't support them anymore.

I've owned many factory rifles over the years. I've had some great ones and some great let downs. The greatest letdown of all time for me was a M700 Ti in .270. I've never seen one of those guns shoot well.....ever. I've HS some reasonably accurate M700 in various configs and calibers. With that being said, the only two Remington's I have in my safe now are one M7 KS in 350 Rem Mag and a M7 KS in 7mm-08. Both are fantastically accurate and hit what I'm looking at every single time. On paper they are beautiful as well. Now, I have many other rifles in my safe. They are for the most part factory rifles except for a few that have McMillan stocks on them. All of them but one start with "S". The odd one out is rifle Beretta branded back in late 90's. It's called a Mato and it flat shoot whatever brand of ammo I feed it. The others are Sako and Savage. Now I was a savage hater for many years and a buddy convinced me to try one. I bought a light weight Hunter in 6.5 Creedmoor....blown away is not the only word. It's got a handsome walnut stock and fluted bolt. Topped with a Swarovski 3-10x42 A line scope. I would own it anyway over a stock remington or Winchester or Weatherby and so on. It has NEVER shot more than 3/4 MOA (normal is 1/2 ish)with a nice hand load of berger 140 grn VLD hunting bullet and Hybrid 100v(don't recll charge off my head) with CCI LR primers. Other Savage, completely stock is also in CM. Its the model 10 predator
Topped with a vortex viper HS lr 4-6x44. It literally stacks them in on top of each other with great ease and just so happens to enjoy the same exct load as the little gun. I can't complain about my savages. I don't do comp shooting, but I'm quite picky about the accuracy of my hunting rifles. Everyone wants rifles to show well on a range. By show well I men print on paper and be pleasing to the eye in appearance as well.
Finally this brings me to my favs for factory hunting rifles. The other "S". These are Sako 75's and earlier A, AV,L series action rifles. Bar none the finest factory rifles money can buy. I will never get rid of the ones I have. Two of these Sakos that are 75's wear McBros swirly stocks. 300 WSM wears a Leupold LPS and the 243 wears a Zeiss Diavari 3-9. I shoot 243 much better for obvious reasons. The WSM is still a 1" or better gun(since I chnged scopes nd leaned to shoot it better) depending on the shooter. These guns have the smoothest action around. I think they rival the of many custom actions I've felt.
I say all of this to say I'm a Savage on lower end my KS rifles in middle and Sako on higher end of factory rifles kind of guy.

While I didn't discuss a lot of technical info, I wanted to give the average guy something to think about. I'm an average dude that just loves bolt action HUNTING rifles.

Y'all have a good one. Be confident in your gun and you will kill what your aiming at. WHate er make you choose. 90% of the everything is controlled by the space between your ears!

Back
Top Bottom