Need help to date an old S&W

Skylow

Default rank <50 posts
Outdoorsman
7   0
Reaction score
I have an old Smith that belonged to my Grandmother that I've been trying to date, and possibly get a value on. On the inside cylinder it's stamped mod. 36, then G10, and a SN 15XXX. Underneath the grips it's stamped with the same serial and G10, plus and oversized N. On the butt of the gun it stamped with a different set of numbers, with a letter included xxxJxx. And there is stamps on the grips themselves. It also has a 3 screw side plate. Any info would be appreciated, also if anyone knows somewhere local to the city, or state that can refinish the nickel plating, that would be helpful as well
IMAG0750.jpg
IMAG0759.jpg
IMAG0761.jpg
IMAG0762.jpg

Possibly a model 36 made somewhere around 1952

Early J frame serial numbers For models 36, 37, 38, 49, 50 and pre model number versions.
1950 = start at 1
1952 = 7369 - 21342
1953 = 28916
1955 = 55050 - 75000
1957 = 117770 - 125000
1962 = starts at 295000
1969 = ends at 786544 J serial Prefix serial numbers.

You can always email S&W. I did this when I had inherited a rather old and well used 38 revolver that turned out to have been made in 1952. I send them pics and the stamping info, and they got back to me within a couple days.

If you have it refinished, it will lose value as a collector's item. For a common gun like a Model 36, it would probably have zero interest to collectors if it were re-nickled. Especially if part of that process involves buffing out the scratches on the gun and thereby fading the writing and proofmarks on the metal.

A S&W made before 1957 should not have the model number stamped on it, as back then S&W didn't use model numbers. They used names.
A "Chiefs Special" in 1952 was not a model 36. Not yet. It would be called the model 36 in 1957, and that's when it would have "36" stamped on its frame.
According to various internet sources, the earliest Chiefs Specials had different front sights, different cylinder release latches, and a few other differences from the more modern guns. Is yours really only in the 15,000 serial number range? Not 150,000? If the latter, it would be late 1950s or 1960 production.
Are you sure the SN starts with a "1" and not the letter "J" (meaning J-frame)?

The serial number is the one on the butt with that 'j' in the middle of it...from the serial on the grips in the pic it looks like 623J70?

I don't have my book with me right now to see an approximate ship date...someone will come along soon to look it up for you...

Other markings and evidence tell me it is a factory Nickel finished model 36. I see a pinned barrel so it will most likely date to before 1982.

Let's see some more pics showing both sides of the gun...

The serial number, with the numbers in front of the letter "J", and a total of no more than 5 numbers, means that your M36 was made in 1971/1972. In 1971 S&W began putting a number in front of the "J". The serial numbers started at 1J1 and continued through 999J99. J frames made during this time are said to have a "floating J" serial number. Given that your M36 has three numbers in front of the J, leads me to believe that your Smith is from 1972, possibly late in the year. S&W used a maxium 5 numbers plus the letter J format for serial numbers only in 1971/1972.

The "N" stamped on the left side of the grip handle stands for nickel. This means that your M36 is an original nickel gun. The numbers, stamped in the magna grips should match the serial number on the butt of the grip frame, minus the letter J. If those numbers match, the grips are considered to be original because they are serial numbered to the gun.

Refinishing the gun would make it look better, but the value of the gun will drop significantly. You will lose the cost of the refinish, plus the overall value of the gun will be less than it would be in its original condition. If you are keeping the gun, have it refinished if you want to. It is your gun, do with it as you please.

Back
Top Bottom