Need Rod Recommedation for new Baitcaster

are you holding the reel straight up and down or sidewise?

when I throw overhand the reel is sideways.. always easier.

if you are just learning don't try and muscle up on it. smooth with your wrist is always better

learn to stop/slow the reel with your thumb as the lure approaches the water

Last edited:
are you holding the reel striaght up and down or sidewise?

when I throw overhand the reel is sideways.. always easier.

if you are just learning don't try and muscle up on it. smooth with your wrist is always better

learn to stop/slow the reel with your thumb as the lure approaches the water

Dont realy know why the sideways works better but it does. I turn my sideways on an overhand cast as well. I generaly set my mag brake brake like so....Just hold rod tip up with lure on it all the way to just about rod tip.turn cen. brake to zero, and adjust mag so that when I release thumb bar, the lure drops to the floor and the spool stops on its own when the lure hits the floor.

Love my baitcasters...have several Team Diawa's and have Team Diawa rods and Berkley lightning rods....wife uses an ugly stick.

The harder you throw, the worse its gonna backlash. Just a nice smooth cast and it will go. My cousin got mad at his on fishing trip one time. Ever cast he made was a little harder and it would backlash a little more. He got so mad he said " if it does it this time, its goin in the lake!" And threw it hard, it backlashed and the lake was the new owner of his setup lol. I did my best to snag it with my line, I was gonna keep it, but no go. Just practice alot and if ya get frustrated....stop and give it a rest.

Last edited:
buying from Bass Pro, I like the All Star rods or Tournemant series. If you want to save money, a good but cheap rod is the Ugly stick. They are tough and have had alot of them. Im rough on rods for some reason. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom