Patent

First, get a good patent lawyer. First one I had took my money and screwed everything up, cost me five years and a ton of money. I finally fired him and hired Grell & Watson, from Charlotte. They straightened out the mess the first guy made, and worked through the process of submit, be denied on bs grounds, refute, resubmit, get refused on other bs grounds, repeat about 7 times. Took about an additional 6 months. I talked to a friend that had been a patent examiner, she said they weren't trained to approve patents, they were trained to disapprove them. She said it was a miracle mine was ever approved. Check out www.werepower.com if you want to see my patent.
That's really cool. You should start a thread in the survival section so some of us could ask questions and maybe end up a customer..

I have a few that I help create for my previous employer. I know it took about 2 years from application to the patent being awarded. I have seen a lot of "junk" patents that were very specific and very easy to get around. While have a good patent lawyer is important determining the value of the patent is just as key. I have had engineering directors love ideas only to find out that a simple online search would determine that multiple patents already existed and a new patent wouldn't provide much. As mentioned above the cost is in protecting your idea. I think the Chinese use patent applications to create knockoffs even before true manufacturing can begin.

I’ve been through the process a few times with other inventors. Main key is the patent must demonstrate that the solution to a problem is unique and non-obvious.

In many cases, the most difficult part is the problem not the solution. Many complex solutions solve multiple problems and can be split into multiple patents. If there is prior art with anything you are trying to claim in your invention (patent or otherwise), they can shoot the whole thing down.

Also, the reviewer probably isn’t going to be an expert in your domain. They will focus on what they know. Doing the prior art legwork up front will help your patent attorney and the reviewer. Clear and concise claims to demonstrate the uniqueness. Diagrams help too.

also, write down what you’re doing ASAP. Take some pictures, etc and mail it to yourself. Then don’t open the letter and save it. If someone else tries to patent it, you have postmarked proof you had the idea first. It’s not much but it’s something.

good luck. The process is long and painful.

That's really cool. You should start a thread in the survival section so some of us could ask questions and maybe end up a customer..
Current state of the prototype, working on the fuel injection, just finished building a work shop in the backyard, don't want to fire off an untested engine inside the house, something about pressurized gasoline makes me a bit uneasy...
20200723_154032.jpg

also, write down what you’re doing ASAP. Take some pictures, etc and mail it to yourself. Then don’t open the letter and save it. If someone else tries to patent it, you have postmarked proof you had the idea first. It’s not much but it’s something.

good luck. The process is long and painful.

This no longer true. In 2012 the America Invents Act changed the law from first to create to first to FILE. We used have to notebooks full documents showing the creation timeline that became worthless with first to file.

Unfortunately, this puts more pressure on you to make a decision.

I have a few that I help create for my previous employer. I know it took about 2 years from application to the patent being awarded. I have seen a lot of "junk" patents that were very specific and very easy to get around. While have a good patent lawyer is important determining the value of the patent is just as key. I have had engineering directors love ideas only to find out that a simple online search would determine that multiple patents already existed and a new patent wouldn't provide much. As mentioned above the cost is in protecting your idea. I think the Chinese use patent applications to create knockoffs even before true manufacturing can begin.
To this point^^^^^^. Many companies no longer submit to the patent process as the process publishes the idea to be stolen by bad actors like china

Current state of the prototype, working on the fuel injection, just finished building a work shop in the backyard, don't want to fire off an untested engine inside the house, something about pressurized gasoline makes me a bit uneasy...
View attachment 3158310

You may want to search government bids. I worked for a UAV company a long time ago that was developing a "sleeved" valve design. The Navy was particularly interested for fuels needed on ships.

Back
Top Bottom