• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Pete Rose gambled as a player

I've never found a definitive answer to this.

Did he ever make a bet against himself, his team, or for his team to win but lose the spread?

But roided up B Bonds has the HR crown,BS bust his ass too.

Exactly. I think Rose deserves to be in the hall of fame. The only thing that would sway me was if he lost games intentionally to win bets. He otherwise wasn't cheating, he was just gambling. Using roids and other similar drugs to win is cheating and those people are in the HoF and have records to their names.. Bunch of bureaucratic BS thats no better then the elected officials we have in office right now IMHO. I grew up near cooperstown and spent a lot of time around the HoF and double day field.. I'm pretty sure its this bureaucratic BS that made me dislike baseball and take up hockey

I couldn't give two s***s what he bet on. I watched him growing up, and in the years since, have only witnessed a handful of athletes (in any sport) who gave 100% of themselves as he did every time he stepped up to the plate, ran a base, fielded a ball, etc. That guy was the model of what every little leaguer aspired to be. We would have fights over who would get to pick the #14 for our uniform. Love Charlie Hustle!!

Pete's numbers would make him a HOF member. However, simply because he made bet on his team to win, has no bearing on the issue. If as a manager, he bet on his team to win, then theoretically, as a manger, he could use up his bullpen to win the game he bet to win, then not bet the next game because his bullpen was used up and would have virtually no chance to win. Based on what I have read, Pete did not bet on his team to win every game. If he picked only certain games, in my opinion, that leaves Pete open to heavy scrutiny. In many way, the manager has more discretion in determining the outcome of a game than the players. The player is only one member of the team, the mangers controls the entire team. BTW, if Pete is reinstated and can be placed on the ballot, the other HOF members and sportswriters will never vote him in. They do not like the way he has acted during his suspension, and the fact that he lied, and continues to lie. Unfortunately, I do not believe Pete will ever be in the HOF even though his play and his numbers are worthy of that honor.

Pete has issues. We all do. Did he have a career worthy of the hall of fame? You bet your ass he did. There are a lot of men in the HOF that did worse things than Pete did. He was a gambler. So what. It bit him in the ass and cost him millions of dollars. He has paid the price and deserves to be where everyone knows he belongs.

Pete's numbers would make him a HOF member. However, simply because he made bet on his team to win, has no bearing on the issue. If as a manager, he bet on his team to win, then theoretically, as a manger, he could use up his bullpen to win the game he bet to win, then not bet the next game because his bullpen was used up and would have virtually no chance to win. Based on what I have read, Pete did not bet on his team to win every game. If he picked only certain games, in my opinion, that leaves Pete open to heavy scrutiny. In many way, the manager has more discretion in determining the outcome of a game than the players. The player is only one member of the team, the mangers controls the entire team. BTW, if Pete is reinstated and can be placed on the ballot, the other HOF members and sportswriters will never vote him in. They do not like the way he has acted during his suspension, and the fact that he lied, and continues to lie. Unfortunately, I do not believe Pete will ever be in the HOF even though his play and his numbers are worthy of that honor.

^^^ 100% ^^^ - It's a dark cloud that will never be overcome - However it is a self inflicted wound and I hate it for him but he did this to himself . As a ball player the man preformed way beyond his substantial abilities so it is truly a shame .

Back
Top Bottom