planning a roadtrip from GA to CA this christmas...

gh00747

Default rank <2000 posts
ODT Junkie!
30   1
Reaction score
Goodevening ODT crackheads

Been AWAL for a hot minute, trying to get back into the forums lately and thought I would see if anyone had some input...I am planning a trip to california from atlanta this christmas, planning on taking two weeks just to see the country. Any good places to stop besides the obvious? My route will consist of going straight west from atlanta through AL, MS, LA, TX, NM, AZ, CA. Then on the way back home I plan on going north east hitting Vegas, salt lake city, CO, kansas, missouri on the way back...

Been AWAL for a hot minute, trying to get back into the forums lately and thought I would see if anyone had some input...I am planning a trip to california from atlanta this christmas, planning on taking two weeks just to see the country. Any good places to stop besides the obvious? My route will consist of going straight west from atlanta through AL, MS, LA, TX, NM, AZ, CA. Then on the way back home I plan on going north east hitting Vegas, salt lake city, CO, kansas, missouri on the way back...

I've done it a couple of times. The northern route is better, more scenic. The drive through TX is a day just by itself, and West TX is boring...

I just kind of stopped wherever it seemed interesting - even ended up in Mexico on the southern trip...

I can't say I'm a fan of California, but San Francisco has a lot to see and do.
The tour of Alcatraz I did while visiting out there was impressive.

If you were traveling a bit sooner, the balloon festival in Albuquerque is definitely something to see.
Old town in Santa Fe, NM is pretty cool. I spent almost a whole day there.

If you are traveling across on 40, you could always stop in Amarillo to do the 72 oz steak challenge at the Big Texan

you going to wolly world ,better call and make sure there open !!

When travelling through the Midwest, be sure to factor in the extreme cold, snow and ice. Your trip could be lengthened greatly by the elements.

If you weren't traveling in December I have a list of places for you to check out. If you do go the Northern route, please take blankets and enough food and water for 5 days with you at all times. If you get caught in a sudden snow storm and get stranded it could get really bad for you quick.
I recommend avoiding Vegas unless you just want to say been there done that. If it were me I would hit Reno, it's on your way to Salt Lake City. Be sure to stop at the Bonneville Salt Flats and take a few pictures of the mirages there. Some are mind blowing. Northwest Colorado has herds and herds of Elk. The only other place that I recommend on your way back is the Arch in St Louis. You can go up in the top of it. In the basement of the Arch is a nice museum. Safe travels and enjoy yourself.

The picture below is what you will see on your way to Salt Lake City.
endless.jpg

Stop before hitting California and head north.
Yeah what you said. I'm starting a movement to sell California back to Mexico for whatever we can get for it. Then fence the whole state off. Imagine how much better off we would be without Pelosi, Feinstein, Boxer and Jerry Brown. If we eliminated those electoral votes then it would be very difficult to wind up with anymore Democrat Presidents.

Back
Top Bottom