PSA PA-10 .308 range and function report

greg vess

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
Elite Idiot
120   1
Reaction score
I finally got out today and shot the new PSA PA-10 .308 today. Just to be perfectly honest with you it wasn't too bad. I was using a picnic table and I was stacking bags up on top of each other to try to get the right height of the rifle in relation to the Target. It was a sketchy test at best. At 50 yards all the shots fell within the diameter of the bottom of the Coke can. Of course that is with open sites. At a hundred yards my old ass couldn't even see the targets but I managed to keep the shots on paper and in the kill zone which is amazing considering that all I saw was a white blotch with some red on it. I was using just regular white box Federal 147 grain full metal jacket rounds that I bought at Walmart.

The one thing that I couldn't stand was the amount of recoil this rifle had. It was equal to my dad's 30-06 700 BDL with a wooden stock. It was painful to say the least. I did order a 5.4 Oz buffer and a Sprinco orange extra power buffer spring so hopefully that tames down the recoil report somewhat. I didn't take pictures @;100 yards because there was really nothing stellar to to show anybody considerate I couldn't see the targets. I do have a ballistic advantage 18 in Dark Series premium Barrel coming so that should bring things in a bit. That and I will be using a scope as well.

Next time I go out shooting I'll have a scope so I'll be able to get a better idea but as it sits right now it'll damn near take your arm off when you shoot it. The gun function flawlessly with no problems whatsoever. So all in all have to say it was worth the money and then some. I think it'll be a real good rifle once I've replaced the stuff that needs it. I do have a picture of the one at 50 yards what you give you some idea of how the barrel shot. The three shots above the five shot grouping were the first shots before I adjusted the front site.

Attachments

• IMG_20230808_105006693.jpg
    IMG_20230808_105006693.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 9
That’s pretty respectable for iron sights and less than stellar eyesight. I’m happy it worked well for you. Mine shot phenomenally. I had the 18” stainless barrel with free float rail and a nice muzzle brake. I didn’t think the recoil was too bad at all with the brake. I did replace the buffer (not the spring) with a heavy 5oz buffer (advertised as 5.4 but actually 5.05). I did that only because it was overgassed and kicked spent brass out at 1:00. I liked the gas block setting in the middle so I kept it there…buffer helped soften the recoil and eject to the 3:30 position. I’m sure mine would have shot better with better glass but I was happy with my $300 Nikon 1-4x24 LPVO w/SFP reticle. That center dot is 2moa and that’s as good as I got. I’m sure someone with better eyes, more skill and a better, higher magnification FFP reticle scope could do even better. Mine was more capable than the shooter 😉

Mine was WAY over gassed and was slinging brass into the next county. Put an adjustable gas block on it and tuned it to toss brass about 4 feet unsuppressed. Much nicer to shoot and nice suppressed. Buddy got one at same time and his was much better gassed.

Yeah it's a beast the way it is. I actually stopped shooting after that target due to a soar shoulder. It hit way to hard. As both of you said I think the heavier buffer will calm that down a bit. I am not sure if the barrel I ordered has a pinned gas block but I am considering a bleed off block it the other mods need s little help.

I really believe with a scope and good ammo it would have been a barrel of decent accuracy. I was shooting of a picnic table with bags stacked on top of each other and the rest was compromised at best. Plus the wind was moving the whole picnic table. Also I was using Federal white box 40 round packs that was cheap. I might have jumped the gun ( no pun intended ) and ordered a barrel prematurely. I really do think this barrel would have made a decent 100 yard barrel. A great hunting barrel if nothing else. Oh well I guess I will sell this one when I get the other one or just save it.

Attachments

• IMG_20230808_200206961.jpg
    IMG_20230808_200206961.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 5
Yeah it's a beast the way it is. I actually stopped shooting after that target due to a soar shoulder. It hit way to hard. As both of you said I think the heavier buffer will calm that down a bit. I am not sure if the barrel I ordered has a pinned gas block but I am considering a bleed off block it the other mods need s little help.
I think you’ll get a much better gassed gun with that BA barrel…

I think you’ll get a much better gassed gun with that BA barrel…
I agree. Especially the Hanson profile, they seem to be soft shooting barrels. I still have a stainless 5.4 heavy buffer and Springco orange spring. Between those and what is in it I should have enough to provide a miriad of options to try out. All I need to get now is a adj. gas block and a good handguard and it should be ready to go.

Since the barrel shoots halfway decent I don't know whether to put the new barrel coming in this one or just leave it alone and build a different AR-10. Decisions, decisions!

Easiest is to Swap barrels. The change in profile, weight, and balance of the two barrels is going to be a very noticeable difference and dramatic improvement.

Isn’t the PSA a dreaded govt profile? Can’t imagine running that in a 308 size/configuration.

Back
Top Bottom