• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

PTSD

karlvv30

Wolf Icon Supporter
Bad at deer hunting
19   0
Reaction score
Any of y'all suffering through it? I never admitted to myself that I had it until very recently. I have been reflecting lately and I think it's time to confront it. Sleeping on the couch for 15 years and being on high alert 24/7 should have been enough for me to wake up to it. I felt like I was too strong or some dumb **** that it couldn't happen to me. Well it did. I've suffered for a long time. I know I'm not the only one on here. How do y'all get through it? I'm at the age that drinking it away is no longer an option. The VA tries but they are so bad at it. I'm searching but it's tough.

Hey brother. This is a real thing and hard to admit, especially us “manly men” that don’t need help and NEVER have a real problem..but we do need help.

You admitting this is a huge step and should feel damn good. Now you have a target to go after.

I don't feel good though. I know what's going on but getting to that good is the hard part. It helps talking about it but it feels like waxing a car with a blown motor.

Anxiety. Panic attacks. Chronic depression. Sleep problems. Hyper-vigilence. Anger issues. Intrusive thoughts. Over-thinking. Overeating. Excessive alcohol use. Disassociative thinking (non- thinking).

Nope. Never had any of that. Just kidding. Everyone experiences these at some point. The problem is when it's constant and unrelenting. People say snap out of it; not that easy.

Medication to address symptoms.
Cognitive behavioral therapy to try change the way your process situations, thoughts, emotions and responses.
Group therapy.
Exercise.
Hobbies that require 100 percent of your attention: target shooting, motorcycle riding, video gaming (don't laugh).

You may want to talk with your doctor about the use of a service animal to help. They are amazing at situational intervention. The VA may be lukewarm and most likely won't provide a dog. However, I had a VA psychologist who was willing to sign off on saying a service animal would help mitigate my symptoms. However, there's organizations in Peachtree City and Fayetteville which may help.

I'll be glad to PM a copy of what the doctor wrote for me. For me, the service animal had worked the best. Don't give up. Don't give in.

FB_IMG_1706113095051.jpg
6aaa425a2a43c0b1fb2394ab8c98c038.jpg
differences-ptsd-vs-complex-ptsd.png

Anxiety. Panic attacks. Chronic depression. Sleep problems. Hyper-vigilence. Anger issues. Intrusive thoughts. Over-thinking. Overeating. Excessive alcohol use. Disassociative thinking (non- thinking).

Nope. Never had any of that. Just kidding. Everyone experiences these at some point. The problem is when it's constant and unrelenting. People say snap out of it; not that easy.

Cognitive behavioral therapy to try change the way your process situations, thoughts, emotions and responses.
Group therapy.
Exercise.
Hobbies that require 100 percent of your attention: target shooting, motorcycle riding, video gaming (don't laugh).

You may want to talk with your doctor about the use of a service animal to help. They are amazing at situational intervention. The VA may be lukewarm and most likely won't provide a dog. However, I had a VA psychologist who was willing to sign off on saying a service animal would help mitigate my symptoms. However, there's organizations in Peachtree City and Fayetteville which may help.

I'll be glad to PM a copy of what the doctor wrote for me. For me, the service animal had worked the best. Don't give up. Don't give in.

View attachment 7164232View attachment 7164233View attachment 7164234

I've never seen anyone explain it so easily. Thank you.

Group therapy.
Exercise.

View attachment 7164232View attachment 7164233View attachment 7164234

It's become debilitating at times now. Just leaving the house has become the hardest thing I do every day. I'm briefing Full Birds and SES's and I feel like I'm going to pass out. Being in front of my class feels like I'm sitting down with the devil discussing which torments I'm in line for. Wife hates me. Kids are looking forward to getting my stuff when I'm gone. It was always bad but now it's become brutal.

WOW….
What exactly triggered this PTSD on you my friend? If you remember…

No clue. Woke up in my CHU in Iraq with my heart beating out of my chest and I couldn't catch my breath. It was August 2009. It's only gotten worse since then. I haven't had a good night's sleep in 15 years.

Back
Top Bottom