• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Question: Why does Kimber have a bad reputation?

I remember in the early 90s the cover of a gun rag was a Norinco 1911 that had literally everything but the frame and slide replaced by a custom gunsmith. At some point, the pistol ceases to be what it once was.

The Gat of Theseus

Edit: to be fair, we've had a number of Glocks of Theseus offered online here over the past few weeks.

Reactions: GFB
Question: Why does Kimber have a bad reputation?

I don't know. The first that I heard of Kimber was in the 90's. Their stock 1911's had features only seen prior on custom pistols such as decent sights and beavertail grip safety. Their reputation was stellar. At the time they only made two models. Both models could be had in blued or SS.

Years later they seem to have over a dozen different 1911's and also a few rifles.

I know they had a hiccup when they tried to implement the external extractor on their 1911's.

Was it the external extractor that caused the damage to their reputation?
$$$

For me:

Customer service.
Over priced for the quality.

They are pretty...I'll give them that.

Years ago Kimber was putting a hurting on Colt.

Then as time went by they got into the cost cutting game, materials and build quality.

Then when you had a problem it was,

"There is a 500 round break in period" then when you still had a problem it was,
"The springs are only good for 600-700 rounds and need to be replaced regularly'.

This was the third Kimber I owned and they never fixed the issue.
I sold it cheap and later gifted the two other guns away.

If I get another Kimber it will most likely be a Custom Shop gun or a revolver.

I am more likely to buy a: Magnum Research
Bul Armory
Tisas
Rock Island
Springfield
Dan Wesson
Palmetto State Arms
Glock~I dislike Glocks
Canik
FN
Beretta
Ruger
CZ
Tangfolio
Check out the 75th anniversary Springfield on gundeals.com. I’m still trying to talk myself out of it. Oops… it’s a Ruger SR engraved 75th anniversary.
IMG_5084.png
That sonOfAgun is Beautiful!!!

Back
Top Bottom