September 11, 2001

Standing on the escalator at Georgia world congress center to go work at the Microsoft booth and saw it on the TV hanging on the wall. They locked us inside for the day thinking that CNN would be targeted. I guess they wanted more bodies inside if it happened to make for a good story.

I had just gotten married that spring, and that day I booked 2 flights to Seattle for a honeymoon trip to a cabin in Vancouver the next July.A friend of mine who owned the cabin there rented it to me. My wife was pissed, but I told her this would be ok cause it was 9 months from that day. Things would settle down. To this day she had the best time ever when the day came to go.

Rest in peace to those lost.God has you in his hands.

Last edited:
The day before I had flown to Helsinki Finland for a company strategic planning session. We were all in the conference when the CEO's phone went off and he immediately left the room. About 10 minutes later, a bunch of folks started wheeling TVs into the room and I saw what was happening. There were 4 of us there from the US. I immediately grabbed my Finnish counterpart and snagged his sat phone to call home. Told the family I was OK but that it could be a while before I could get home. The company said all expenses would be covered and we could buy anything we needed while the airlines were locked down. As I was the US Controller it wasn't a big deal as I had a company credit card and paid the bills anyway.

After the conference, I flew down to Germany and hung out with a military buddy for 3 weeks until the flights back to the US began again - saved the company huge money this time. On my next trip to Finland, about 3 weeks after I got back, there was like a dozen folks total on the jumbo jet. Security was brutal, went through like 6-8 checkpoints at London Gatwick and added hours to the already long trips...

2nd year of college, went to my interpersonal communications class. someone said a plane hit the WTC, we didnt believe it and carried on with class. after class was over, i went back my dorm room and turned on the tv, HOLY **** someone really did hit the WTC! i did not move from my couch the rest of the day.

I was in the gym on the treadmill. TV was on in the front of the room...I believe it was ABC news with Charlie Gibson.... He announced that a plane had just hit the first tower. Not certain, he speculated it was a small plane accident. Then while the cameras were on the towers, the second airliner hit the other tower. CG correctly said that this was no accident and we were under attack. I stood in the gym and watched for a while. Then went home and watched the TV for most of the day as the towers collapsed, and people jumped out of the buildings.

Was at GM Doraville entire plant stopped everyone was in break rooms or on phone with loved ones. God Bless the USA!

Last edited:
The boss and I were taking CPUs in for upgrades, stopped in Northern Hydrologics for a minute and got word. Turned on the radio and heard when the second plane went into the second tower. Still remember it like yesterday.

Nick T

In the dentists chair in Dunwoody getting a crown put in. There was a TV in the room so needless to say that was probably the longest crown install in history. After it was done, I went home instead of going to work.

I was working on Ft. Stewart, GA. in a motor pool as a civilian contractor, some of the soldiers came out with a TV and we all sat and watched the second plane hit. The next day, post was locked down and no fun getting to work from that day on. Still remember the Bradley and .50 pointed at me as they searched my truck that day. Never watched so much Fox news in all my life. Changed the world for sure.

At work in Richmond, VA. Went to the cafeteria in the morning and it was on the news. Watched as the second plane hit and both towers came down. Had friends from when I was in the Air Force assigned to the Pentagon. The following days we found out about several friends of friends who had children in the WTC....

Back
Top Bottom