Shopping for a beater/daily driver. Which is best for guns?

(c) (1) It is unlawful for any person to knowingly own or operate any vehicle containing a false or secret compartment.

If you tell everybody bout it and post pics. on da net....it aint a secret no mo.
Except that the statute specifically defines a secret compartment as intended for an illegal purpose. Of which, the legal conveyance of firearm, is not.

The Hyundai Sante Fe has a compartment that would easily hold an AR and some mags. Throw some foam inserts in there and you are GTG.
2015-05-20 13_25_21-hyundai santa fe trunk - Google Search.png

While intent of the compartment would have to be proven, and in my mind, easily defended, the code reads (at least to me) that the compartment can't be legally created, no matter the intended use. I don't like it, don't support it and would like to see it changed. I just wanted to be sure you were aware of the code before going into it. Just consider if you happened to get pulled over coming from FLA, and since you bought a used vehicle, the previous owner was a pothead and left a small sack of wacky backer stuffed under the seat and a sniffer dog signaled on it. Then after the articulable suspicion search, the officer finds the compartment. While you're innocent until proven guilty, you'll have a hard time explaining your way out of it. The last two vehicles I've bought have drug issues. The first was bought for a kid, whose dad found a large qty of 420 in, and returned the truck to the dealer and it was subsequently bought by the previous owner. The second vehicle I found paraphernalia in.

While intent of the compartment would have to be proven, and in my mind, easily defended, the code reads (at least to me) that the compartment can't be legally created, no matter the intended use. I don't like it, don't support it and would like to see it changed. I just wanted to be sure you were aware of the code before going into it. Just consider if you happened to get pulled over coming from FLA, and since you bought a used vehicle, the previous owner was a pothead and left a small sack of wacky backer stuffed under the seat and a sniffer dog signaled on it. Then after the articulable suspicion search, the officer finds the compartment. While you're innocent until proven guilty, you'll have a hard time explaining your way out of it. The last two vehicles I've bought have drug issues. The first was bought for a kid, whose dad found a large qty of 420 in, and returned the truck to the dealer and it was subsequently bought by the previous owner. The second vehicle I found paraphernalia in.

look i get the concern but really. I am looking for a vehicle that has FACTORY COMPARTMENTS.
i am not looking to traffic children for sex slaves, jeez.

besides, I plan to call the local police department when i get previously mentioned beater, and ask if the drug dog needs a workout, since i dont know where this thing has been.

I also have some LE friends.

Hey, I'm with you.

I may know, or may have heard of someone that has modified the back of their front seat so that a panel flops down exposing an SBR. The person may or may not be LEO and this may or may not be true.

I think you should be able to do what you want with YOUR property. I mean it's not like if you had 50 lbs. of pot in it that the first charge is gonna be for the compartment anyway. It'd be an add on charge if anything. So if no illegal use, you should be fine.

Back
Top Bottom