• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Suppressed 7.62x39 SBR AR15 (success!)

NWSharpshooter

Default rank 5000+ posts Lifetime Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
563   0
Reaction score
After the debacle with the 336 today I was ready to try a different rifle. This is my 7.5" 7.62x39 SBR AR15.

The first 20 shots were without the can or rail to make sure the gun was stabilizing the ammo. Dear lord in heaven and all that is holy that **** was loud. It was shaking the benches and knocking foam and water down on me. The video does a piss pour job of demonstrating the concussion, fire, and noise that was coming off that thing. The reason I kept shooting and looking at my target and then laughed is the wind blew my target off the backboard even though I had 20+ staples in the thing.

I chronographed the ammo and was kicking out 124gr at around 1970fps.

Once you see the rail and can on the gun the first few shot strings were me zeroing the Aimpoint (which I need to do again because I hate that mount.) The rest is just me and IMDB having fun.

Surprisingly mine runs. I had one failure to feed at the start and once my bolt didn't lock back (although you can see in the video that the weight of the gun was resting on the bench. I also had someone shoot at the exact same time as I did and his brass hit my camera. It confused the hell out of me and I thought I shot the guts out of my can. You can see me stop, look at the can, and reach forward and touch it.

Anyway, sorry the video is so long, hope you enjoy.

Last edited:
Is it worth trying to suppress x39? Local lore (lax) says it isnt

It is still pretty damn loud. There was a guy there who took his plugs out and said it didn't bother him, in the video you can hear him say that you don't need hearing protection. I don't know though. It was a full range and my right ear was killing me from the damage done to it shooting this thing without a can (even though I had plugs and electronic muffs on.) It was so loud it actually caused my electronic muffs to malfunction for a while and I had to switch out to my other pair.

Perhaps soon I can get out and try it on an empty range when my ears aren't already ringing. I will let you know then.

It is still pretty damn loud. There was a guy there who took his plugs out and said it didn't bother him, in the video you can hear him say that you don't need hearing protection. I don't know though. It was a full range and my right ear was killing me from the damage done to it shooting this thing without a can (even though I had plugs and electronic muffs on.) It was so loud it actually caused my electronic muffs to malfunction for a while and I had to switch out to my other pair.

Perhaps soon I can get out and try it on an empty range when my ears aren't already ringing. I will let you know then.

You know what happens to electronic muffs when you turn them off? They become regular muffs.

Heheh, muff..

You know what happens to electronic muffs when you turn them off? They become regular muffs.

Heheh, muff..

You know what happens when you shoot 7.62x39 unsuppressed out of a 7.5 inch barrel 10.5 inches from your right ear..........

I still can't believe it was so loud even through double hearing protection. The only thing I have ever shot that I would say was comparable was my SBR AK which is also a 7.5" barrel.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom