To those who have experience with BOTH....glock 17 vs 34?

I prefer the 34. I can get the sights/sight on target quicker with smaller/tighter groups. The recoil is a bit easier to manage as well when rapid firing and maintaining tight groups. For a duty type gun I prefer it over the 17. The 17 is a fine gun though and one would need to shoot both to determine for themselves which is best "for them".

My 17 is over 24 years old, my 34 is a bit newer 5-6 years or so.

G17 for me. Not enough difference between the two in how I use them so I choose to go with the smaller one.
If I get back to competition shooting I might get back to the 34, but it's not stock.

I've had both and didn't shoot better with one over the other enough to make a difference.

That said...... I would choose the 17 over the 34 every time and did :)

Actually traded the 34 off back in the OD craze on here a couple years ago and ended up with a 17 and a 19 ;0)

I had both and prefer the G17 since I shot it as well as the G34. That being said I shoot the G26 better than both the G17 and G34. For me the sight radius has nothing to do with accuracy I can shoot long and short barrel pistols equally well. What makes a gun more or less accurate for me is #1 the trigger and #2 how it fits in my hand.

I had both and prefer the G17 since I shot it as well as the G34. That being said I shoot the G26 better than both the G17 and G34. For me the sight radius has nothing to do with accuracy I can shoot long and short barrel pistols equally well. What makes a gun more or less accurate for me is #1 the trigger and #2 how it fits in my hand.

Fwiw the glock 17 and 34 frame are the same. You pay for a 3.5lb trigger, adjustable rear sight and longer slide and barrel.

I'll take a 17 with after market trigger group for less than the 34.

I've owned both and shot competition with both. I wound up selling the 34 since I carry the 17 every single day. My reasoning was that I wanted to be REALLY good with the 17 since that's what I wear to work every day. The 34 is a wonderful gun and if I was only shooting competition, it would be my preference.

Many of my schools' alumni who compete prefer the 34... others run their carry gun.
I prefer to put the greatest emphasis on becoming the best I can be w/ the gun I bet my life on.

I've also tried a 34 out of curiousity. The muzzle heavy balance compared to the 19's or even the 17's I shoot so often was too much of a distraction.
The trigger on all of my Glocks is a smooth trigger w/ a minus connector so there is no difference there between the two.

I do agree that "running" guns w/ the same operational controls & similar characteristics is better than constantly changing platforms away from the one which is your primary defensive gun.

We have never had a "serial swapper" (a person who constantly swaps their carry gun around) in our classes that I can remember who was very proficient... especially under a bit of stress.

The old adage of, "Beware of the man with one gun... he probably knows how to use it." has often proven to be correct.

I will also add that I've had the good fortune to take first place when competing against several shooters in multiple competitions (including two well known Firearms Instructors who compete & mostly win many comps. who were using 34's) using my EDC G-19.

While I may not win against them the next time that opportunity presents itself, my biggest concern is building repetitions & familiarity w/ my EDC to win a much more important competition... The one that Bill Jordan said in the title to one of his books' that there was no "second place winner in".

Nothing against those who choose otherwise, that's just my choice.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom