Tractor Help

25hp is not alot of tractor. I have and old international and a small 4x4 hydrostatic massey. The massey is cool but almost useless for real work. It struggles with the stuff that the int. Doesnt even slow down for.

There's an equipment auction this Sat,April the 13th across from the Towns county jail in the industrial park,lots of signs (a friend helps run the auction,he said the will have quite a few tractors)

Looks like good info. A old man once told me to buy one of the big 4, Massey Ferguson, John Deer, Kabota or New Holland, and you'll be good to go.

I've been around farm tractors all my life. My Dad is an engineer, he said that a farm tractor is the most over engineered piece of equipment that ever was. Just look at the old Ford 9n and 8n. These tractors are 70yrs old and still doing the job.

Now all this said, weight is everything. Especially if you're using a back hoe. I have a medium to small New Holland, can't remember model number. It's 30hp and 4x4. That tractor pulls better than my Dad's @36hp Massey 2 wheel drive. My tractor weighs @2300lbs. his weighs @4000lbs. I have a 5' wide tractor. Take the top part of the ROPS off or fold it down and it fits in the garage. Implements are less money as well than 6' or wider unit. Mine will also go in tighter spaces. Of course a 6' machine will get a large job done faster, have better hydraulics, lift more weight and operate a Back Hoe better. As I said about weight, add antifreeze in the back tires. It won't freeze used to use Calcium Chloride. Also go for the R4 comercial tires. Good flotation and grip. And you can drive in on your lawn.

If you buy new, understand that it won't reach it's pulling potential till around 500-600hrs on the clock. When I first bought my machine I thought I had made a bad choice. Once she got broke in, she pulls pretty good and I can get some work done with it. The Loader is a good idea. It will help out a lot. It will give better traction up front and keep the front end on the ground for lifting things on the back. I paid @$20k for my complete set up and never looked back. Still happy with my machine since 2001. Make sure to buy good heavy implements as well. Braking parts or looking for parts isn't fun. I'm still using my original implements with only minimal parts breakage. I would hate to tell you some of the things I've done with this equipment. Nothing like a farm tractor and you can take that to the bank. You take care of a good tractor, it will last a life time.

Those things are awesome! They came and trimmed the power lines on the back of our property with helicopter saws last year, and then came and cleaned it all up with a bobcat with mulcher. They grind it up to basically wood chips. Those chopper saws are something to watch also.
Those helicopter saws are a sight to behold! I saw one for the first time last year trimming around the power lines here. I was in amazement at the skills of the pilot to keep it straight and not hit the power lines. Massive balls for sure.

Back
Top Bottom