Tractor Help

Honestly tractors are like pickup trucks. Only times they are sold is when the owner dies and the heir don't want it or they already got all the good out of it.

I'm going to treat this like a pickup search and just keep a bunch of cash on hand to jump on something if I find it.

Appreciate everyone's advice and suggestions.

My Mahindra 2540 is 4 wheel drive and constantly spinning all 4 tires :) Have gotten it stuck several times in the mushy front yard. Thankfully, daddy taught me how to unstick a stuck tractor using the front end loader years ago. I can't image the tractor being very useful as a 2 wheel drive?

Been using 2 wheel drive tractors for more than 30 years. Pull plows, hay balers, hay rakes, move hay, hay mowers, bushhogs, run post hole diggers, skid logs, and pull scrapers. Have NEVER been in a situation needing 4 wheel drive.

Been using 2 wheel drive tractors for more than 30 years. Pull plows, hay balers, hay rakes, move hay, hay mowers, bushhogs, run post hole diggers, skid logs, and pull scrapers. Have NEVER been in a situation needing 4 wheel drive.

But, the one thing that I see missing from your list: front end loader work. That is what I use mine for 98% of the time. Moving wood chips, mucking cow pens, pushing up trees, etc. But, you are correct, I haven't needed or used 4 wheel drive once while bush hogging.

But, the one thing that I see missing from your list: front end loader work. That is what I use mine for 98% of the time. Moving wood chips, mucking cow pens, pushing up trees, etc. But, you are correct, I haven't needed or used 4 wheel drive once while bush hogging.

When I need a loader, I use a real one, not a toy. A Cat 977L is a loader. A tractor is just that, a tractor, not a loader.

Don't judge a tractor by it'soley on HP. You want a good balance of HP and Torque is what you want when pulling or dragging something out of the quagmire. HP is just going to keep you going at top speed. It can differ drastically between the two. I would definitely go Kubata. Look at the biggest one you can afford. Remember these things last forever and you don't want to be cussing down the road for skimping. Find one that is at the top of your budget and go one bigger. Trust me you will use it at some point. 4x4 would be nice but it's pricey. We a ancient Massy 4x4 and that thing would pull a house off it's foundation. We used it when the other tractors got stuck.

Back
Top Bottom