• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Well, looks like I'm still allergic to mammal meat!

BangBang

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
57   0
Reaction score
I was diagnosed with the alpha gal allergy in early 2014.

It's an allergy triggered by a bite from the Lone Star tick. It causes extreme allergic reactions to the alpha gal carbohydrate in mammal meat.

It can be diagnosed with a simple blood test that will give you a number. The higher the number, the more prone you'll be to the allergic reaction.

When I was diagnosed in 2014 my number was 9.5

When I was tested last week my number was 3.4

Anything over 0.35 is considered positive for the allergy.

So it looks like I'm still allergic, but my number is going down. I'll be tested again in a year and see if it continues to go down.

All you guys be sure to wear insect repellent when you're in the woods, because this allergy sucks (no pun intended) and Epi-Pens are expensive as hell!

damn man that sucks! i've worried about this before but for the most part im pescetarian so it wouldnt be too different for me but my exception there is bacon and god it will kill me to give it up

A buddy of mine nearly died from Ehrlichiosis which also causes reactions to red meat. He is lucky enough to be able to each chicken, but from what I understand that's not always the case. Just red meat and pork for you? Is fish and chicken still an option?

Evidently my case isn't as severe as some people. Some people can't have any mammal meat OR any dairy.

I do fine with dairy, but all mammal meat is off the menu.

I can still eat chicken, fish and turkey.

Basically if it hatches from an egg, I can eat it.

Back
Top Bottom