• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

What is your .45 personal defense round preference?

AirOpsMgr

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
Banned Permanently
66   0
Reaction score
While this is a topic that has been discussed many times, I just thought it would be interesting to see if there have been any changes or updates to personal preferences in .45 personal defense rounds.

Personally, I prefer HP vs. ball, don't really want to get into a debate on that portion, but have it if you feel compelled :)

I've changed between a few types as my primaries; Speer Gold dot, Critical duty & HST. Since I often EDC a 1911, I was hesitant to carry Critical Duty due to the "potential" for feed issues caused by the polymer tip, while I've never had any feeding issues with it, I still carry HST (no feeding issues with those either), but err on the side of caution.

There are a lot of options out there, some I have tried and some I just read or watched ballistics reviews on, including DoupleTap, GuardDog, DRT, Golden Saber, Underwood, Buffalo bore, & Winchester PDX .... so while I tend to gravitate toward Federal HST (both regular and +p), I figured I'd check to see if there was anything that I may have missed.

i use federal hst 230 grain hp. i prefer not to carry ammo with a fancy name as in court hst might look better/ "less evil" then critical duty to a liberal jury member to an extent

i use federal hst 230 grain hp. i prefer not to carry ammo with a fancy name as in court hst might look better/ "less evil" then critical duty to a liberal jury member to an extent
I already have my defense worked out for that.
Prosecutor: "Sir, why did you decide to slay this young man who broke into your home with these devastating and evil hollow point rounds?"
Response: "Well sir, I went up to the counter at the Dick's sporting goods store and asked the guy what round I should use to protect myself, he stated that the Federal HST was the best thing to kill any stupid **** that breaks into my home."

I hope that works ......

Federal HST 230g for me as well. I like what I've seen in the ballistic testing done by Dr. Gary Roberts. I think the Winchester Ranger T series and Speer Gold Dots are not a bad choice either.

My wife uses Critical Duty for her LC9 as it is reliable in that weapon, and I have no doubts it will do the job if necessary.

Federal HST 230g for me as well. I like what I've seen in the ballistic testing done by Dr. Gary Roberts. I think the Winchester Ranger T series and Speer Gold Dots are not a bad choice either.

My wife uses Critical Duty for her LC9 as it is reliable in that weapon, and I have no doubts it will do the job if necessary.

I like Tnoutdoors9 review, & one of the reasons that I decided to a couple hundred rounds through my EDCs and now carry it regularly. I have yet to see better expansion, but open to other possibilities.

FEDERAL HST 230 GRAIN JHP. IT PEERFORMS WELL IN BALLISTIC JELLETIN , IT DOES GOOD ON CAR GLASS AND DOORS WITH PLENTY STOPPING POWER LEFT . I USE 124 GR +P FEDERAL HST IN MY NINE FOR DEFENSE. IT PERFORMS WELL ALSO IN TESTING THAT IVE DONE. BOTH EXPAND WELL IN BALLISTIC TEST.

I've shot a lot of whitetail deer with the PDX round in 45 ACP and been well pleased with its performance. I'd have no problem with it in your EDC if the gun likes it.
I carried .45 PDX1 as EDC for a while early on as it was readily available; but I later changed over to HST based on difference in expansion (of course, I'm simply watching videos, haven't had a chance to test it in sim-media myself.)

I'm a fan of the Hornady Critical Defense. I've shot it into wetpack through multiple layers of denim, heavy cotton and even a phone book and it's always expanded picture perfect.

That day I also tried some of the 'classic' HP ammo (Speer and Ranger if I remember right), and in both cases I had at least one round that clogged up and turned into ball ammo. I never found those since they blew through all the wetpack and continued downrange, but that's the only thing that could explain their sudden ability to over-penetrate like that.

I would also think the poly-tip would help feeding, not hinder it.

Back
Top Bottom