• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

What is your .45 personal defense round preference?

I guess I would have thought of it exactly the opposite... The cavities on a lot of these 45 HP's are huge, and it leaves the bullet with kind of a flat-face. I could see those edges getting caught on a feed ramp or mag lip, where I would have expected the polymer tips to work more like ball-ammo.

Could very well be though, I only shoot 1911s for fun and all my tests were done with my XDs.

It may likely be an issue with what surface strikes the feed ramp first based upon the trajectory from the mag. I know that the Critical Defense/Duty nose is more tapered than the HST, but unfortunately, I can't see exactly how it strikes the feed ramp in my guns. Again, I'm no expert, but I do take all info into consideration. As I mentioned before. I've fed tons of Duty and Defense rounds through my 1911's, and while I have had some that are a bit sluggish to chamber, I've never had a FTF .... but, just figured I wouldn't take the chance and have used the HSTs.

It also goes without saying that Federal has also likely done countless testing through all sorts of platforms and I doubt that they would release a round that had any significant issue with a particular platform (IE 1911) without making mention of it on the box .... you know companies are these days :)

Back
Top Bottom