What would happen IF...

brittthomas

Default rank <1000 posts
Okefenokee swamp creature
27   0
Reaction score
the federal govt. did collapse? My wife asked me this the other day.

What I believe is that it would be similar to the collapse of the Soviet Union. Every state in Union would essentially become it's own country. Instead of 50 states in the United States of America, it would be 50 extra countries in North America.

Is that plausible?

Too many people have an interest in this not happening. Especially those that are really in control. Imo, it would take a natural disaster or pulse or something of that sort. I just don't see the scenario where this corporation will just shut down.

Just for the sake of argument, IF the gov't were completely shut down/removed overnight, I would imagine the people's immediate reaction would be to group up with others like yourself... Could be neighborhoods, could be families, could be gangs. Eventually I see the local gov'ts filling in for the missing Federal Gov't. I think that would take a little time. Actually, other than a few specific laws, I don't see the Federal Gov't impacting my day to day life- at least not in such a way that I would miss.

Now if we're talking about total collapse of the local and federal gov'ts (generally speaking full on anarchy)... That's going to be the National Thunderdome. Leave the chicken feet. Bring bullets.

you mean no more IRS, bills being deliverd by the US post office , taxes taken out of my check, ect.. it would be a freaking party at my house and everyone's invited lol.. looking on the brighter side of things.

Yes, eventually each Governor would call out the National Guard in his state and some sense of gov, god or bad, would TRY to remain in place. Each state has an average of 700,000 registered hunters, that's not counting veterans, simple gun owners, etc. WE the people of the United States of America are the largest militia in the world and it would ultimately depend on how those 700,000 + honest people per state chose to act and whom to follow.

Hmmmm... every government in existance has failed at some point, sometimes via war, sometimes via economics. Saying it can't happen is probably very similar to what Roman citizens thought back in their time, Germans thought prior to WWI and WW2, and the British and French colonials thought as well.

I don't see the government totally collapsing unless driven by some catastrophic event that opens the door for a new government to be formed, or new rulers to invade. I don't see how it would be a good thing for us - we have a very unique legal and political system, one that the world has never seen prior to the birth of the US and it most likely cannot be renewed unless it's due to a civil war.

if you think no bills would be fun think about it like this after a few months alot of utilities will be shut down so it won't be as much fun unless you know how to live independent of utility companies.

also roads would be dangerous with road blocks and tolls being put up by folks, i would team up with a select group of people who know how to defend themselves and have survival skills

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom