1. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Rules / FAQ.

If you wish to become a member and post, you can register here. Registered users also see less ads!
  2. If you are having issues logging in please send us an email through the "Contact Us" link at the bottom right of the site and we'll get it fixed.

3. We now have a Mobile-Friendly Style for the site.

You can find it at the bottom left corner of the site, or click here.

Where can I find Hodgdon Superformance loading data for .243 Winchester?

Thread in 'Reloading' started by Ironman, Oct 22, 2012.

1. Ironman

Ironman Frontiersman

Rating - 100%
    108   0   0

Where can I find Hodgdon Superformance powder loading data for .243 Winchester for a 95 grain bullet? The 8th Edition Hornady manual lists nothing. The Loaddata.com website only lists data for 70 and 75 grain bullets. I am currently using 95 grain Hornady SST bullets and can't find any data for the Superformance powder.

2. Troy Brown

Troy Brown ODT Junkie!

Supporter

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0

Got a nice house in East Marietta.....and I will d
    Give Wolfcreek firearms in Marietta a call. If those people dont have the info, Im sure they could point you in the right direction to look.

3. loadnplenty

loadnplenty ODT Junkie!

Supporter

Rating - 100%
    73   0   0

Have you tried the Hodgdon manual? Not trying to be a smarta$$, youjust didn't mention it in your post.

4. Twitch2120

Twitch2120 ODT Junkie!

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

Last edited: Oct 23, 2012
  5. Ironman

Ironman Frontiersman

Rating - 100%
    108   0   0

Yes, I have tried the Hodgdon website and they also show nothing. Hornady sells factory loaded ammo in Superformance .243 Winchester using 95 grain SST with velocities around 3200 fps. With all of the data manuals that I own and data websites that I am familiar with, nothing shows a load over 3000 fps... most are around 2800-2900 fps.

6. Chuckdog

Chuckdog ODT Junkie!

Supporter

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0

Looking at the burn rate chart it comes in just below H4831. It should be a good powder using heavier bullets in the .243 Win.

7. Bear44

Bear44 The Hen that laid the Golden Legos

Supporter

Rating - 100%
    71   0   0

Take the Hornady claims with a grain of salt. They are masters at marketing. I would have to see this stuff shot through a crony at those muzzle velocities from several rifles to believe it.

An example of their marketing would be the claims they made about their brass when they first started selling it as a component. They said it would be consistent from lot number to lot number. That's a pretty big deal when you are addressing precision long range shooting. Then you discover the rest of the story. The brass has a weight variation of about eight grains WITHIN the same lot. With that much variation it's not to hard to get into the same weight range in the next lot manufactured. So, their claim is true, but what they imply is not. Just for reference, in a mid sized cartridge it is generally accepted that the weight spread of the brass needs to be two grains or less for it to not negatively effect accuracy.

Typically Norma, Lapua, Nosler Custom and even Remington achieve the two grain spread in their lots. Remington isn't as consistent as the other three, but it's very close.

Also, take another look at Loaddata.com. There are several loads that get very close to 3200fps with 95 grain bullets. I know you already know but, always start with 10% less powder and work you way up.

8. Springfield 1911

Springfield 1911 ODT Junkie!

Supporter

Rating - 100%
    14   0   0

DaveTheMinion Tribute
    Just a note, this is a ball powder. I have had success with using magnum primers in my 308, 243 and 7m-08 loads when using the ball powders. There are some that don't use them, and that is fine, but apparently I'm not the only one because several handloading websites also recommend using them as well as bullet manufacturers reloading manuals. I have a really good article by Chuck Hawks on this subject http://www.chuckhawks.com/primers.htm . Just what ever you do start low, I always start at 15% lower than what the book calls for. I hope this helps you.

9. Springfield 1911

Springfield 1911 ODT Junkie!

Supporter

Rating - 100%
    14   0   0

DaveTheMinion Tribute
    You can also buy a box and pull the bullet and weigh the powder of each and take the average and take away at least 10% if not 15% and start there.

10. Twitch2120

Twitch2120 ODT Junkie!

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

superformance from hornady and superformance canister from hodgdon are 2 different powders. funny how there is factory .308 superformance yet no load data for it in 308.

the absence of load data is probably because there isnt a decent load or its dangerous. if you experiment by pulling a factory round and reducing (which is a bad idea) the best that can happen is you find a decent load, the worst...boom. good luck with it.