• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Zero Turn Questions and any Gravely hook-ups for members?

bluesman2a

Default rank <750 posts
Frontiersman
32   0
Reaction score
Backstory: I have a non-box-store JD lawn tractor, it's put in some good years, but it's done. I've rolled it and rebuilt it a couple of times and it's just crapped out for the last time. I'm not fooling with it any more. It's got a 52" deck and the upgraded Kawasaki engine. It's been good but it's time.

I mow around 2 acres mostly flat with one side-hill, lots of trees and stuff to work around. Lots of roots and stuff sticking up.

My budget is up to the $4k range, but I want something that will be bulletproof for a number of years. Unless somebody here has a better idea or there's a huge problem with them I'm going to a Gravely ZT X or XL with a 52" deck. They both have the choice of either a Kawasaki FR691V 23 HP or a KOHLER® 7000 Series V-Twin HD w/Smart Choke 25HP.

https://www.gravely.com/en-us/zero-t.../gravely-zt-xl
https://www.gravely.com/en-us/zero-t...s/gravely-zt-x

Both are running fabricated decks, but the XL has a beefier transaxle and I'm leaning towards that.

So the question is what's the better engine that's going to hold up longer? I've not been really impressed with the Kawasaki I've had in the JD, but are they still better than the Kohler?

Now here's the kicker, there seems to be a supply issue with the Kawasaki engines, and dealers don't currently have them, looking at mid june and I have to mow like NOW. Is it worth the hassle of holding out for a Kawasaki on top of everything else and making do in the interim?

Last but not least, any recommendations on Gravely shops or folks that may work at one they might suggest? At the moment I'm thinking Harco Rentals in Winder, SoseeBee in Lawrenceville, or Piedmont Tractor in Gainesville. If having a Kawasaki engine really IS that important I may drive up towards Cornelia if I have to.

I have a tractor supply brand zero turn. Bad ass or something stupid like that. All I can tell you is they do drink gas. It amazes me how much it uses. I had to check the thing for leaks. Two cuts with less than an acre and it needs gas. The tank isn't big but my husky did better than that.

have a 42" with the kawasaki engine and no problems so far. bought it used its probably 5 years old and runs like a top. It was purchased at Harco in winder.

funny thing about the tuff torq transmissions in those tractors
tuff torq recommends 5w-50 or 5w-15 full synthetic
john deere recommends their supah dupah 10w-30 hy gard
and fills the transmissions with that fluid

wonder why they have so many problems

Back
Top Bottom