• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

10-22 bbl change problem

wallacem

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
163   0
Reaction score
I put a Shaw bbl on the Ruger 10-22 and a Magpul stock to hold the bull bbl. Scoped it and find the scope runs out of adjustment and it shoots about 5" low at 50 yards. now i hear about the famous barrel droop on 10-22's when you tighten the screws that hold the barrel in place too much. Supposed to be about 10-12 inch pounds. Now the question. Shooting the gun, it shoots great. less than 1/2" at 50 yards. I think I can get it to 1/4" if I work on it. Wondering, since it shoots great as is, I can cure the droop problem by buying a new scope base that has a 20MOA tilt to it and correct the problem with the scope. Which way is best, go back and reinstall the barrel and tighten it to 10-12 inch pounds, or leave it alone since it shoots good, and change the base.

Either course of action will give you what you want, but as easy as working on a 10-22 is, you might as well try to torque it to spec and see what it does for you. At the proper torque, the bolt face will be more likely to meet the breech face properly square.

Back
Top Bottom