• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

10/29 hunt

I wasn't certain I was going to hunt due to full moon. But given rut is on where we are it I made it out to property after about 4 hours of sleep Saturday night. I was all pumped to creep in to where I was going to post up when a trespasser on a 4 wheeler shows up. Nice. And I have spoke with this trespasser just 2 weeks back. After 20-25 minutes of conversing, most of which while 4 wheeler still running, light on, loud voices over engine noise, he finally leaves. I am thinking well crap no deer gonna be around here now. But the rut ...

I climb up in a tree and bleat off and on for about 1 hour. I am on a finger and I can see ravine to right but to left it drops steep and I cannot see down into it. When I hear noise I am always trying to decipher...Squirrel, leaves, or deer? Then the noise after about 20 minutes becomes more constant ... that moving through fallen leaves that we know is a deer!

This buck comes up onto the finger and gives me a quartering away shot. He went maybe 35 yards and dropped. Was a lot of work lugging the quartered boy up the ravine to the van. Although I brought in a battery powered fan which did help keep some flies and yellow jackets off the deer while I processed him, and it was a nice breeze for me.

20231029_225348.jpg

20231029_225152.jpg

20231029_181028.jpg

20231029_225509.jpg

I wasn't certain I was going to hunt due to full moon. But given rut is on where we are it I made it out to property after about 4 hours of sleep Saturday night. I was all pumped to creep in to where I was going to post up when a trespasser on a 4 wheeler shows up. Nice. And I have spoke with this trespasser just 2 weeks back. After 20-25 minutes of conversing, most of which while 4 wheeler still running, light on, loud voices over engine noise, he finally leaves. I am thinking well crap no deer gonna be around here now. But the rut ...

I climb up in a tree and bleat off and on for about 1 hour. I am on a finger and I can see ravine to right but to left it drops steep and I cannot see down into it. When I hear noise I am always trying to decipher...Squirrel, leaves, or deer? Then the noise after about 20 minutes becomes more constant ... that moving through fallen leaves that we know is a deer!

This buck comes up onto the finger and gives me a quartering away shot. He went maybe 35 yards and dropped. Was a lot of work lugging the quartered boy up the ravine to the van. Although I brought in a battery powered fan which did help keep some flies and yellow jackets off the deer while I processed him, and it was a nice breeze for me.

View attachment 6410686

View attachment 6410689

View attachment 6410690

View attachment 6410692
Congratulations on a well deserved buck

View attachment 6410686

View attachment 6410689

View attachment 6410690

View attachment 6410692
Congrats that's a nice one.

Back
Top Bottom