• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

10.5" M4 .223 Wylde Barrels 1:8 twist for $89.99 through Monday

Check out this article. This makes me want to shoot my match 20" next to this pistol and see what that difference would be at 100-200 yards. Seems as though you would have just as much success with an 18-20" barrel as you would the 24".

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/20...t-barrel-length-muzzle-velocity-and-accuracy/
what I read there, is short range length to accuracy is similar/irrelevant. Long range you get more velocity and more accuracy even between 20 and 26, and that maximum velocity is not reached at 20.

Guys, for equally well-manufactured/crowned barrels, there is zero accuracy increase in longer barrels. Traditionally (and think about revolvers), the longer ones "shoot better" due to the longer sight radius. With a scope or red dot, this is irrelevant. Shorter barrels of the same diameter are MORE ACCURATE due to the barrel flexing less.

The only reason for longer barrels, assuming you're using a scope, is for higher velocity. Higher V. means less wind drift. At long range, that's a very serious consideration. Going from a 16" to a 24" barrel can add 200? 300? fps. And that means several fewer inches of drift at 600 with a 10 mph crosswind. This is the reason for 30" .308 target guns, though they ought to just suck it up and shoot .300 Win-Mag or Ultra Mag or something, but I digress.

Longer barrels are also quieter from the shooter's perspective. Other than that, get the short barrel!

Now, under 16" you are really starting to compromise the effectiveness of the round, due to the lower velocity, but research that yourself. So I guess this is a consideration too, but not really meaningful 20" vs. 24"... At 10.5" though, a .223s effectiveness is limited to short range, assuming FMJ, etc. etc. etc.

Last edited:
From 20" to 22" you wont even see a gain of 100fps
www.varmintal.com_barrel_length_vs_velocity.png

Maybe if you're a reloader who will find the right powder to burn the whole 24", but if your shooting store bought stuff I doubt you'll see any noticeable velocity gain from anything longer than 20".

556 nato rounds as shown below
sadefensejournal.com_wp_wp_content_uploads_2012_02_barrel6.jpg

http://sadefensejournal.com/wp/?p=1093

Back
Top Bottom