$1000 to build a bugout house

What is the best option?

• Total voters
I think I would get the camper, and begin building a better shelter using methods 3/4. You will have an immediate usable, portable shelter, and will not be in a rush to complete the more permanent shelter. After the final shelter is complete, you can sell the camper or keep is as a mobile bug out shelter.

I think I would get the camper, and begin building a better shelter using methods 3/4. You will have an immediate usable, portable shelter, and will not be in a rush to complete the more permanent shelter. After the final shelter is complete, you can sell the camper or keep is as a mobile bug out shelter.

Thats not a bad idea, or the one with a VW bus/van. I like the mobility of both.

I am pretty handy in a garage and have plans for using a slave engine to power battery banks, but there is nothing that says the engine has to be stationary. Hooking up a 2-battery system in a van/bus with an inverter to run lights or small electronics is easy, and only a step or two off from using it to charge a battery bank. Fuel is the only thing! Im going to start looking at that as an option too, a diesel van that can be outfitted as a temp dwelling and has external hookups for power/fuel. Any siggestions on makes/models to look at? Im thinking an early 90's cherokee, I think they made those in diesel.

I'm digging into the side of the hill and reinforcing. The shipping container dropped in would be a good idea too. Just need to rent a back-hoe for the day to excavate and then back fill. Ya know, maybe J.R.R. Tolkein was onto something when the described the dwellings of those Hobbits.

Just a little advice.....if you plan on dropping a shipping container in the ground, you will want to reinforce the sides (not to mention the top if you put any amount of earth on it). I have seen this done and the sides of the containers crushed in about 6 inches when you back filled around the container......also, they need insulated big time if above ground......throw up a 2x4 frame and use spray foam.......cover with almost anything (if you want). I have seen first hand a bunker made out of four shipping contains (two above ground and two under ground).......it's a very nice set-up......except the walls compressing on the two that were buried.

Still like the cord wood, three foot walls...............gotta remember the $100 budget. That is assuming the land you have access to is yours? owner might get P Oed if not!

Back
Top Bottom