10mm Woods Gun

HairlessBigfoot

Default rank <2000 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
Reaction score
Looking for something I’m not worried about getting dirty or slammed against a tree. I want a 10mm in something. I’m leaning towards the Glock 20 or Glock 40. But I’m open to other things out there. I plan to run a light on it so it needs to have a rail.

Anyone have something they wouldn’t mind letting go? Or any opinions?

Pic for humor as I’m a nerd!

Attachments

• 37BADD35-42C2-4723-9880-193F79AC36C1.jpeg
    37BADD35-42C2-4723-9880-193F79AC36C1.jpeg
    29.6 KB · Views: 41
Good choice for a wood's gun. 10mm is stout and it's nice to have the additional capacity of an auto.

I've got a couple of 10's but they aren't woods guns.

I think Glock would be the choice for your application because they just plain work and who cares if you scratch it or whatever because it's already so ugly...

Look at a Glock 29. Overall the same size as a Glock 19, just thicker. I previously owned a S&W 1076 and a 1006. Nice guns but heavy, dwindling parts availability, high priced magazines and no factory support. My Glock 29 is my favorite woods semi-auto, followed by a Sig P250sc and a Sig P239, both in .40 S&W. Academy Sports has the Sig SP2022 for $399.99 on sale.

Buffalo Bore and Underwood offer a variety of .40 S&W ammo to deal with anything you will find in Georgia woods.

I have a Glock 40 and a 20. I would sell the 40 but we are far apart and figuring the drive you could probably find one closer for the same price. I like them both but I find that the 40 won't do much for me that the 20 won't. The 20 has also become my edc, loaded with TNQ frangible hollow points. The 10mm is a great round if you select ammo that utilizes its full capabilities. 15 rounds of it in hand with good ammo will solve any problems you are likely to encounter in the lower 48 if you do your job. IMO

Good plan. I found G29 too difficult to shoot well, but G20 is fine. I’ve carried a nice 10 in the woods but worried about scratching it! No worries with the G20. I carry in a strong side shoulder holster so that I can keep my pants up. 10mm is a great and versatile cartridge.

I have a Glock 40 and a 20. I would sell the 40 but we are far apart and figuring the drive you could probably find one closer for the same price. I like them both but I find that the 40 won't do much for me that the 20 won't. The 20 has also become my edc, loaded with TNQ frangible hollow points. The 10mm is a great round if you select ammo that utilizes its full capabilities. 15 rounds of it in hand with good ammo will solve any problems you are likely to encounter in the lower 48 if you do your job. IMO

I’m a sales rep and I travel the state pretty regularly. My north cut off is usually the Jackson/ griffin area, and if you’re willing I would consider driving for the right deal.
I’d be interested in that Glock 40, is it the mos model?

Thanks for the reply’s fellas. Now here is my issue I’m debating between.

What is the best choice? Glock 29, Glock 20 or Glock 40.

Glock 29- smaller and harder to manage recoil, however it will run the Glock 20 mags and I can used an x grip spacer to give me a Glock 20 sized grip. Easier to conceal if I decide to carry. Smaller barrel, accuracy will not be the same as the 40 or 20.

Glock 20- full sized, better manage the recoil. Not as easy to conceal if I decide to carry. Accuracy is in the middle.

Glock 40- best accuracy, can come in a mos model and run a red dot for more distant shots.
Impossible to conceal. Large gun, more weight, and more likely to get guns up on stuff.

What’s my pick?

I’m also a fan of the two tone of a black Glock slide and an FDE frame(I have two already) so I’m leaning towards a g20 as it’s the only one of those available in that color combination.

Thanks for the reply’s fellas. Now here is my issue I’m debating between.

What is the best choice? Glock 29, Glock 20 or Glock 40.

Glock 29- smaller and harder to manage recoil, however it will run the Glock 20 mags and I can used an x grip spacer to give me a Glock 20 sized grip. Easier to conceal if I decide to carry. Smaller barrel, accuracy will not be the same as the 40 or 20.

Glock 20- full sized, better manage the recoil. Not as easy to conceal if I decide to carry. Accuracy is in the middle.

Glock 40- best accuracy, can come in a mos model and run a red dot for more distant shots.
Impossible to conceal. Large gun, more weight, and more likely to get guns up on stuff.

What’s my pick?

I’m also a fan of the two tone of a black Glock slide and an FDE frame(I have two already) so I’m leaning towards a g20 as it’s the only one of those available in that color combination.
I carry a 20 concealed almost every day including to church 3 times a week. Granted, it is a little tougher to wear well than my Glock 32 but with a good holster it will disappear under a vest, polo shirt or untucked t-shirt. If concealed carry is a factor, you are correct, the 40 is a joy to shoot but near impossible to conceal.
I have not shot a 29 but have shot a 30, they handle well for a small package but they aren't going to perform as well as the larger framed guns.

Back
Top Bottom