• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

11/11/18 Deer Hunt.Veterans Day

I took my Son to the lease this evening. We had a bobcat come in and sit down 40 yards away from the blind. That’s the first one he has ever seen before. He also got to see his first coyote ever just before dark. He then saw his first mature buck while hunting. Unfortunately, it was about 140-150 yards out and facing straight at us. Shooting light was fading fast and the buck seemed to be on edge really bad. I told my Son to stay calm and very still while waiting for a broadside shot. It took all that my Son had to hold off on shooting, but he was patient. The buck turned and was gone in a flash. He and the coyote were about 3 minutes apart and came out from the same area. I heard one blowing back in that area a few minutes prior to seeing them both. I guess that’s what had him so nervous. We’ll be back out there after school one day this week.

BA1C00F3-FCB6-4B77-A8D9-95BFDC9B1FE2.jpeg

I took my Son to the lease this evening. We had a bobcat come in and sit down 40 yards away from the blind. That’s the first one he has ever seen before. He also got to see his first coyote ever just before dark. He then saw his first mature buck while hunting. Unfortunately, it was about 140-150 yards out and facing straight at us. Shooting ought was fading fast and the buck seemed to be on edge really bad. I told my Son to stay calm and very still while waiting for a broadside shot. It took all that my Son had to hold off on shooting, but he was patient. The buck turned and was gone in a flash. He and the coyote were about 3 minutes apart and came out from the same area. I heard one blowing back in that area a few minutes prior to seeing them both. I guess that’s what had him so nervous. We’ll be back out there after school one day this week.

That head on heart shot is a killer but hard to do if you are up high. I bet your son's heart was beating like a drum. Good times. Congrats on the wonderful memory.

That head on heart shot is a killer but hard to do if you are up high. I bet your son's heart was beating like a drum. Good times. Congrats on the wonderful memory.
Thanks. I’m having mixed emotions about it still. I really want to see my kids have successful hunts, but at the same time I want them to learn to be patient hunters and wait for a broadside shot. I want them to understand that we owe it to the animals that we pursue to make a quick, clean kill. Very doable shot for the rifle, but that would be quite the feat for him at that range. He’s had a lot of Trigger time with my 308 shooting subs and supers, can and no can, but not at that kind of distance. I really thought the deer would settle and commit to coming in closer to feed.
My Daughter did an outstanding job holding off on the doe in my avatar until she was broadside. She watched her for at least 5 minutes before taking her shot. She told me she wanted to make a broadside shot to make sure she hit the vitals. What started out to be a 100+ yard shot ended up being about 50.

Thanks. I’m having mixed emotions about it still. I really want to see my kids have successful hunts, but at the same time I want them to learn to be patient hunters and wait for a broadside shot. I want them to understand that we owe it to the animals that we pursue to make a quick, clean kill. Very doable shot for the rifle, but that would be quite the feat for him at that range. He’s had a lot of Trigger time with my 308 shooting subs and supers, can and no can, but not at that kind of distance. I really thought the deer would settle and commit to coming in closer to feed.
My Daughter did an outstanding job holding off on the doe in my avatar until she was broadside. She watched her for at least 5 minutes before taking her shot. She told me she wanted to make a broadside shot to make sure she hit the vitals. What started out to be a 100+ yard shot ended up being about 50.

That is so strange in my world. The 3 deer I killed this year I had eyes on for 45 seconds total. I hunt in areas that are thick and close.

You did it right.

Back
Top Bottom