• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

11/12 hunt

Had a good feeling about the woods this evening.
Didnt get 30 yards into the woods out back and a deer ran towards me from the opposite ridge.
I hid behind some deadfall and hunkered down to see if it would come closer.
It didn’t and it ran off back up the ridge.
It blew at me lightly when I started moving again towards my ladder.
As soon as I got up my ladder it blew at me again lightly.
I decided to let out three doe bleats and that deer came running my way.
He made a big Circle around me but never knew I was there.
It was a fork horned young buck two seasons old, super dark brown.
He sniffed, scraped, peed and thrashed some saplings before running off to other noises in the woods…..he was super Amped up.
Half hour later I heard a bunch of noise coming down the other ridge towards me.
One deer broke out below me and turned up towards me….then I caught another following.
The first deer was a similar sized 6 point and the second was that fork horned guy again.
They faced off and the fork just tore into the six and they went at it for a good minute until the six ran off.
The fork hung around for a while and ran off again when he heard more deer on the ridge he was on earlier.
I need to try a morning hunt there.

Yeah just does for me at this point.

Well, having not seen any rut activity whatsoever to this point, but having a new big buck show up on camera just after dark last night, I decided to buy one of those arisol cans of doe pee today. Emptied the whole can on the way to the stand this afternoon. Saw a few does and a handful of young bucks throughout the afternoon, but nothing big and nothing paying any attention to the doe pee I sprayed. About 5:40 I see a buck come across the orchard and start zig zagging through where I sprayed that stuff. I got binoculars on him and saw he was good enough size that it was easy choice to shoot him.

That's when the fun began. My girlfriend was hunting with me and only gets to go a couple times a season due to her schedule, so it was never an option for me to shoot it.

Light was fading fast and she couldn't spot him and he wasn't standing still long in any one spot. So there was much confusion as I tried to help her find the deer and then get it in her scope. She finally spots him and gets him in the scope. I let out a grunt with my grunt tube and he stopped at about 125 yds broad side. As sooner as he stopped, she dropped him in his tracks.

Not sure about score, but might be bigger than anything I've ever shot and she just got her first two bucks ever last season. I couldn't be more proud of her. We think it's a 4.5 yr old buck and it's the only deer I've seen so far this season that was over 2.5 yrs old. He weighed just under 240lbs. I love hunting the second weekend of November and it usually pays off. So happy she finally got a taste of why I like this weekend so much.

And now that I've bored y'all to death, here's the pics your all waiting to see...

PXL_20231112_232141576.jpg
PXL_20231113_002705292.jpg
PXL_20231113_002720202.jpg
PXL_20231113_002747445.jpg

Well, having not seen any rut activity whatsoever to this point, but having a new big buck show up on camera just after dark last night, I decided to buy one of those arisol cans of doe pee today. Emptied the whole can on the way to the stand this afternoon. Saw a few does and a handful of young bucks throughout the afternoon, but nothing big and nothing paying any attention to the doe pee I sprayed. About 5:40 I see a buck come across the orchard and start zig zagging through where I sprayed that stuff. I got binoculars on him and saw he was good enough size that it was easy choice to shoot him.

That's when the fun began. My girlfriend was hunting with me and only gets to go a couple times a season due to her schedule, so it was never an option for me to shoot it.

Light was fading fast and she couldn't spot him and he wasn't standing still long in any one spot. So there was much confusion as I tried to help her find the deer and then get it in her scope. She finally spots him and gets him in the scope. I let out a grunt with my grunt tube and he stopped at about 125 yds broad side. As sooner as he stopped, she dropped him in his tracks.

Not sure about score, but might be bigger than anything I've ever shot and she just got her first two bucks ever last season. I couldn't be more proud of her. We think it's a 4.5 yr old buck and it's the only deer I've seen so far this season that was over 2.5 yrs old. He weighed just under 240lbs. I love hunting the second weekend of November and it usually pays off. So happy she finally got a taste of why I like this weekend so much.

And now that I've bored y'all to death, here's the pics your all waiting to see...

View attachment 6468049View attachment 6468050View attachment 6468054View attachment 6468067
Wow! That is so awesome great Buck and a great smile….!
Worth county?

View attachment 6468049View attachment 6468050View attachment 6468054View attachment 6468067
Thats a good one! Got one similar size where I’m hunting

That's a stud. Congrats to you both.

Back
Top Bottom